Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad
Blackhead - Western Bay Pastoral Charge fonds
Tipo general de material
- Textual record
Otra información de título
Título declaración de responsabilidad
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Nivel de descripción
Código de referencia
Área de edición
Declaración de edición
Declaración de responsabilidad de edición
Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material
Mención de la escala (cartográfica)
Mención de proyección (cartográfica)
Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)
Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)
Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)
Área de fechas de creación
- United Church of Canada. Blackhead-Western Bay Pastoral Charge
Área de descripción física
2 m of textual records
Área de series editoriales
Título apropiado de las series del editor
Títulos paralelos de serie editorial
Otra información de título de las series editoriales
Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales
Numeración dentro de la serie editorial
Nota en las series editoriales
Área de descripción del archivo
Nombre del productor
Methodism was introduced to Blackhead during the ministry of Rev. Lawrence Coughlan. Coughlan served in Newfoundland from 1766 to 1773 as a missionary for the Society for the Preservation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. Although he remained within the Church of England structure, he was a "Church Methodist," a follower of John Wesley. During his tenure, in 1769, the first Methodist Church in Newfoundland was built at Blackhead. Methodism made steady progress in the area, for when William Black, "the apostle of Methodism in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia," and John McGreary, a Methodist missionary, visited Blackhead in 1791, they found 40 persons enrolled in Methodist classes. By 1850, the circuit report for Blackhead disclosed three chapels, six other preaching places, one missionary, one local preacher, 310 church members, 109 Sunday school scholars, 150 day school scholars, and 1900 in attendance in public worship.
Before 1815, however, there was no Methodist circuit structure in Newfoundland and all missionaries were appointed by the Wesleyan Conference in England to the broader Newfoundland District. Rev. John Remington, appointed in 1804, chose Carbonear as his headquarters and appears to have taken the Blackhead-Western Bay area under his stewardship, for early Carbonear Methodist parish registers (1794-) contain entries from the region.
From 1815, preachers were appointed to specific circuits in Newfoundland. In 1816, Blackhead became a circuit in the Foreign Missionary Society of the Wesleyan Methodists and received two ministers, Rev. Thomas Hickson (the first minister to record in the circuit registers) and Rev. John Walsh. The circuit included communities Small Point, Broad Cove, Mulley's Cove, Blackhead, Adam's Cove, Western Bay, Bradley's Cove, Ochre Pit Cove, Northern Bay, and Long Beach. In 1817, Western Bay became a separate circuit, with Rev. John Pickavant the first to record in the circuit registers. The two circuits were reunited the following year, although temporary separations re-occurred over the next six decades. In 1835, Lower Island Cove was added to the station sheet with Blackhead and Western Bay.
In 1811, churches were built at Western Bay and Ochre Pit Cove. The first mission house was constructed at Blackhead during the period 1812-1815 and was opened in 1815. It was replaced in 1841 during the ministry of Rev. Ingham Sutcliffe. In 1863, construction of the third church at Blackhead began, and it opened in 1871. Known as the "old Blackhead Church," it was taken down in 1931, and the present church was constructed to serve congregations in Adam's Cove, Blackhead, and Broad Cove North. A new parsonage was built in Blackhead in 1918 during the ministry of Rev E. C. French, and the latest manse was constructed in 1962.
At Broad Cove, a church was constructed in 1910 to serve congregations in Small Point, Mulley's Cove and Broad Cove. It was destroyed by fire in 1937. In 1939, the basement of the new church was opened for worship by Rev. J. L. Reynolds. The new church was formally dedicated in 1941.
Early education at Blackhead had been conducted by the resident minister until the first school was built in 1821. By 1830, there were schools in Adam's Cove and Broad Cove as well. In 1910, new identical church/halls were built at Blackhead and Adam's Cove and consisted of two classrooms on the first floor and a hall for Sunday school on the second floor. A new school, Salem School, was built at Broad Cove in 1863, and was replaced by a two room school in 1944. In 1926, an elementary school was built at Small Point. In 1973, a new Central High and Elementary School was opened at Western Bay to service the whole area.
Western Bay, which had occasionally functioned as a separate circuit from Blackhead since 1817, was established as a separate circuit in 1877 under the charge of Rev. R. W. Freeman. The circuit consisted of congregations in Western Bay, Bradley's Cove, Ochre Pit Cove, and Long Beach. A parsonage was opened in Western Bay in 1878, and construction of a Church at Ochre Pit Cove was also begun during Freeman's tenure. Rev. W. H. Browning became minister of the circuit in 1906-1910, and a new church was completed in Western Bay during his ministry.
In 1925, the circuits of Blackhead and Western Bay, Carbonear District of the Newfoundland Conference, Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland, and Bermuda), became pastoral charges in the Carbonear Presbytery of the Newfoundland Conference of the United Church of Canada. The pastoral charges were re-united in 1967 to form the Blackhead-Western Bay Pastoral Charge.
Historial de custodia
Alcance y contenido
Fonds consists of records created in the pastoral charges of Blackhead-Western Bay, Blackhead, and Western Bay. Records relate to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are vital statistics, minutes, correspondence, membership lists, accounts and published material.
The records are arranged in the following series: Baptism, marriage, and burial records (1816-1979); Membership Records (1894-1978); Board and committee records (1878-1982); Property records (1906, 1931); Education records (1875-1952); Women's Groups records (1923-1989); Youth Groups records (1935-1967); Records of other groups (1896-1940); Sunday School records (1926-1942); Church Publications/Histories (1973-1982); Annual reports (1978-1989) and Financial Records (1809-1992).
Área de notas
Origen del ingreso
Idioma del material
Escritura del material
Ubicación de los originales
Disponibilidad de otros formatos
Restricciones de acceso
Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.
Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación
Instrumentos de descripción
Conference archives inventory list, 1999. File level control.
Other records relating to the Blackhead-Western Bay Pastoral Charge may be found in the: Eddy fonds (ministers circuit book 1876-1902; Newman fonds (vital statistics and membership information, 1905-1913); Charles Lench fonds (History of Methodism in the area); Naboth Winsor fonds (research material on the area), [1890's].
Área de número estándar
Puntos de acceso
Puntos de acceso por autoridad
Tipo de puntos de acceso
Área de control
Identificador de registro de descripción
Identificador de la institución
Reglas o convenciones
Estado de elaboración
Nivel de detalle
Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación
Created - May 11, 2013
Idioma de descripción