Fonds - Bonne Bay Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bonne Bay Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1874-1997 (Creation)
    Creator
    United Church of Canada. Bonne Bay Pastoral Charge.

Physical description area

Physical description

37 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1873-)

Administrative history

Bonne Bay first appeared on the Methodist station list in 1873. Until 1885, Bay of Islands was also associated with the mission, and the title of the mission at times incorporated the names of both areas.

In 1874, Rev. Jabez Hill was appointed pastor for the mission. By 1881, Rev. W. B. Secombe was pastor, and the mission included Curzon Village (Woody Point), Shoal Brook, Rocky Harbour, Trout River, and French Point. By 1887, Rev. T. B. Darby was pastor, and he was supplied with a lay agent, John Campbell, to help in ministering to the geographically extensive mission, which stretched one hundred and fifty miles between Bonne Bay and St. Anthony.

The first Methodist church was completed at Curzon Village in 1887. It was replaced in 1925 with a new structure, Woody Point United Church, the new name reflecting both the Church Union and the community name change. Today, the church is known as St. Andrew's United Church. A church at Shoal Brook was completed in 1887 during the pastorate of Rev. Darby. By Church Union in 1925, a new church had also been built in that community.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are vital statistics, accounts, membership lists, reports, and published material; Records are arranged in the following series: Series 1.0 Baptism, marriage and burial records (1874-1980); Series 2.0 Membership records (1876-1933); Series 3.0 Board and committee records (1912-1976); Series 4.0 Education records (1887-1925); Series 5.0 Annual reports .- 1976-1995; Series 6.0 Miscellaneous records (1901-1997).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Archives inventory list, 1999.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 7, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area