Fonds - Botwood Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Botwood Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1889-1963 (Creation)
    Creator
    United Church of Canada. Botwood Pastoral Charge.

Physical description area

Physical description

4.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1889-1963)

Administrative history

In the early days of Methodism in Botwood, (which was known as Ship Cove then), Botwood was a part of the Exploits Mission, with the minister or missionary stationed at Exploits. This mission had many subdivisions over the course of time.

In 1889 the Exploits Mission was divided, and the Exploits Bay Mission was formed, with preaching appointments at Burnt Bay (Lewisporte), Indian Arm, Loon Bay, Scissors Cove, Kite Cove (Laurenceton), and Ship Cove (Botwood). The first minister under the boundary set up in 1889 was Rev. James Nurse. Rev. Frank Hollett was the first ordained minister stationed at Botwood. In 1898, this mission appears in the Minutes as Botwoodville.

Rev. C.R. Durant was appointed to the charge in 1905. It was during his pastorate that the first Methodist church was built at Botwood. The foundation for the Methodist church was laid in September 1905 and it was opened for worship on April 2, 1906. During this time, Laurenceton was added to the circuit name and it was named Botwoodville and Laurenceton pastoral charge. Northern Arm was also an appointment of this circuit. Laurenceton appears as a separate mission in 1918; It was during the pastorate of the Rev. W. Edgar Mercer from 1924, that the Methodist Church of Botwood became a part of the United Church of Canada. Shortly after the union of churches, plans were laid at Botwood for a new church with twin towers. The new structure was dedicated in 1928 while Rev. Mercer was still pastor.

For about twenty-five years after The Methodist Church in Newfoundland became part of The United Church of Canada, many of the features of Methodism continued - the prayer meeting, in some places class meeting, the annual Missionary Meeting, and in most churches, the Order of Service of the 1914 Methodist Discipline was followed. The Women's Organizations and Circuit Boards were continued for thirty-five years inmost congregations. There was a strong emphasis on Christian Education, and new organizations - Explorers, Trail Rangers, Tuxis and Newfoundland Girls in Training were formed. The Methodist Organization, The Epworth League for young adults, continued for some years, but later the name was changed to The Young People's Society.

The old official boards of the Methodist Church weren't dissolved until 1934 and new ones were appointed according to the manual of the United Church of Canada.

Custodial history

The records of the Botwood Pastoral Charge were maintained at the pastoral charge until they were transferred to the United Church Archives after the 1960's.

Scope and content

Fonds consist of records created by the Botwood Pastoral Charge which includes vital statistics, records of various church organizations, circuit registers, minute books, financial records and annual reports.

Fonds is arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1890-1963; Annual Reports, 1988, 1995 and 1996; Statement of Income and Expenditures, 1989; Publications, 1962 and 1964.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Other records relating to the Botwood Pastoral Charge fonds may be found in the Stoneville/Change Islands, Campbellton and Exploits Records and also Newman's Private Papers.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 25, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres