Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
Botwood Pastoral Charge fonds
Designação geral do material
- Documento textual
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Nível de descrição
Código de referência
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
- United Church of Canada. Botwood Pastoral Charge.
Zona de descrição física
4.5 cm of textual records
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
In the early days of Methodism in Botwood, (which was known as Ship Cove then), Botwood was a part of the Exploits Mission, with the minister or missionary stationed at Exploits. This mission had many subdivisions over the course of time.
In 1889 the Exploits Mission was divided, and the Exploits Bay Mission was formed, with preaching appointments at Burnt Bay (Lewisporte), Indian Arm, Loon Bay, Scissors Cove, Kite Cove (Laurenceton), and Ship Cove (Botwood). The first minister under the boundary set up in 1889 was Rev. James Nurse. Rev. Frank Hollett was the first ordained minister stationed at Botwood. In 1898, this mission appears in the Minutes as Botwoodville.
Rev. C.R. Durant was appointed to the charge in 1905. It was during his pastorate that the first Methodist church was built at Botwood. The foundation for the Methodist church was laid in September 1905 and it was opened for worship on April 2, 1906. During this time, Laurenceton was added to the circuit name and it was named Botwoodville and Laurenceton pastoral charge. Northern Arm was also an appointment of this circuit. Laurenceton appears as a separate mission in 1918; It was during the pastorate of the Rev. W. Edgar Mercer from 1924, that the Methodist Church of Botwood became a part of the United Church of Canada. Shortly after the union of churches, plans were laid at Botwood for a new church with twin towers. The new structure was dedicated in 1928 while Rev. Mercer was still pastor.
For about twenty-five years after The Methodist Church in Newfoundland became part of The United Church of Canada, many of the features of Methodism continued - the prayer meeting, in some places class meeting, the annual Missionary Meeting, and in most churches, the Order of Service of the 1914 Methodist Discipline was followed. The Women's Organizations and Circuit Boards were continued for thirty-five years inmost congregations. There was a strong emphasis on Christian Education, and new organizations - Explorers, Trail Rangers, Tuxis and Newfoundland Girls in Training were formed. The Methodist Organization, The Epworth League for young adults, continued for some years, but later the name was changed to The Young People's Society.
The old official boards of the Methodist Church weren't dissolved until 1934 and new ones were appointed according to the manual of the United Church of Canada.
The records of the Botwood Pastoral Charge were maintained at the pastoral charge until they were transferred to the United Church Archives after the 1960's.
Âmbito e conteúdo
Fonds consist of records created by the Botwood Pastoral Charge which includes vital statistics, records of various church organizations, circuit registers, minute books, financial records and annual reports.
Fonds is arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1890-1963; Annual Reports, 1988, 1995 and 1996; Statement of Income and Expenditures, 1989; Publications, 1962 and 1964.
Zona das notas
Fonte imediata de aquisição
Idioma do material
Script do material
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Restrições de acesso
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Instrumentos de descrição
Finding aid is available.
Other records relating to the Botwood Pastoral Charge fonds may be found in the Stoneville/Change Islands, Campbellton and Exploits Records and also Newman's Private Papers.
Further accruals are expected.
Zona do número normalizado
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Locais
Pontos de acesso - Nomes
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo
Descrição do identificador do registo
Identificador da instituição
Regras ou convenções
Nível de detalhe
Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação
Created - April 25, 2013
Idioma da descrição