Buildings and structures

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Buildings and structures

Equivalent terms

Buildings and structures

Associated terms

Buildings and structures

13 Archival description results for Buildings and structures

13 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL

  • Fonds
  • 1874-1999

The fonds contains records of the administration of the church of St. Paul's from 1874-1969, and includes the minutes of meetings of vestry, records of committees and boards, financial records, correspondence and invoices, vestry registers, clergy's records, some legal documents re the acquisition of land, and seating plans for both the old and the new church. Other records include photographs of the present and the former church, as well as portraits of many of the rectors of the parish; a full set of plans for the building of the church by architect Stephen J. Earle; a painting by J. S. Hayward of the Anglican Cathedral of St. John's; and visitors' books.

The records have been organized in 11 series according to form and function; Series 1: Minutes of Vestry, 1874-1958; Series 2: Committees and Boards, 1892-1945; Series 3: Financial Records, 1879-1964; Series 4: Correspondence, 1905-1960; Series 5: Vestry Registers, 1913-1921; Series 6: Clergy's Records, 1881-1969; Series 7: Legal documents, 1895; Series 8: Sunday School, 1904-1913; Series 9: Visitors' Books; Series 10: Plans and blueprints, [1892 - 1980]; Series 11: Photographs.

Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL

Holy Family Parish (Paradise, N.L.) fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1982-1984

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and the redistribution of parish assets (1982-84); canonical decree establishing the parish and defining its boundaries (1982); and newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1983-84). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Holy Family Parish (Paradise, N.L. : Catholic)

John Job collection

  • Collection
  • [1900-1931]

Collection consists of 2 photograph albums created by the Job family, reflecting the Job business ventures, Job family activities, as well as historical events. The geographic area represented by the photographs is almost exclusively Newfoundland and Labrador, with the exception of photographs from the Search for the Franklin expedition in Hudson Bay (1903-04).

Albums include photographs of the Job premises in St. John's, Quidi Vidi, Placentia, L'Anse au Loop, Blanc Sablon, Little Heart's Ease, Bell Island, and Whitbourne. Images include buildings (interior and exterior), wharves,shipping, and the fishery, including marine fishery, sealing and whaling.

Historical events represented in the albums include the royal visit of the Duke of York (1901), the sealers' strike (1902), the unveiling of the war memorial in St. John's (1924) by Field Marshall Haig, and scenes from the Viking Disaster (1931). The photographs also illustrate the economic activity and the cultural landscape in that era.

Job, William John

John Rorke & Sons Limited fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1879-1933

Fonds consists of correspondence and shipping papers for the company operations, 1879 -1933. Material of particular interest is the correspondence and accounts of C. T. Bennett of Bristol, which illustrates the complexities of the marketing structure and the economic factors which affected the salt fish industry as well as providing insight into the day-to-day operations of the business. The fonds also includes vessel expenditures and charter parties. The architect's specifications for the building of the Stonehouse on Water Street, Carbonear, are contained in the correspondence for 1907.

The fonds is arranged in four series: Correspondence, 1880-1933; Financial records, 1879-1920; Shipping records, 1881-1923; Miscellaneous bound volumes, 1892-1920.

John Rorke and Sons

Mary Queen of Peace Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1925-1988, predominant 1962-1988

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to Mary Queen of Peace School, Mary Queen of Peace Parish Hall, and the general operations of both St. Raphael's and Mary Queen of Peace parishes (1952-79); financial statements (1925-30); construction proposals (1975-76); architectural drawings (1968, 1976-77); newspaper clippings relating to the opening of the new church (1985); Parish Pastoral Council minute book and resource binder (1987-88); and 2 black and white photographs.

Mary Queen of Peace Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)

Memorial University Master Plans collection

  • Fonds
  • 1968-1975

The plans provide a detailed look at the estimated and speculative development of Memorial University's new St. John's campus. They show proposed sites of buildings, parking lots, student residences, faculty living quarters, etc., all in relation to St. John's landmarks and locations. The Master Plan is at the back of the report: the text and drawings explain why the plan takes the form it does and shows how it may be transformed from a two-dimensional paper pattern to an actual place that once can inhabit and walk about. The sections examined in detail throughout the plans include: 1. The University and the City; 2. The Academic Brief; 3. The Topographical Study;4. The South Campus and the Junior Division; 5. The Building Pattern; 6. The Circulation System; 7. The Landscape Design; 8. The Schematic Master Plan; 9. The Main Block; 10. The Library; 11. Convocation Hall; 12. Physical Education; 13. University Theatre; 14. South Campus Link Block; 15. The Senior College; 16. Architectural Character.

Memorial University of Newfoundland

Presentation Congregation (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1833-2002, predominantly 1950-1985

Fonds consists of Nano Nagle journal (1802-1825); an Irish Sister's journal (1911); educational scrapbooks (1850s); election register (1833-1987); an annual renewal registry (1938-1957); acts of reception and profession registry (1846-1869); professions and deaths registry (1871-1952); registers of the Sodality of the Children of Mary (1946-1958); various membership/enrollment journals (1910-1964); correspondence (1833-2002); account books (1881-1961); financial statements/records/reports (1876-1877,1920-89); minutes of various meetings (1875-1999); legal documents (1784-1999); decrees (1855 1958); religious vow documents (1846-1856, 1905, 1907); annual reports/statistics of the Congregation (1942-1984); Annals of Harbour Grace (1833); annual visitation reports (1962-1965,1988); Latin documents (1883-1972); French documents (1845-1867); various certificates and awards (1952-1995); four architectural drawings; two technical drawings; nine paintings; twenty-one sketches; approximately two hundred photographs, the majority of which are black and white; nineteen film reels of various sizes; twenty-nine video cassettes, predominantly VHS; and thirty-six cassette tapes, some of which contain oral histories.

Fonds also consists of reference materials in the form of books, thesis', booklets, research papers, speeches, newspaper articles, obituaries, artifacts and an art collection which relate to the foundress, early pioneer Sisters, the congregational foundations, membership and their apostolic work; The fonds has been divided into the following series:
100 Records relating to Nano Nagle; 200 Records relating to the four pioneer Presentation Sisters in Newfoundland; 300 Records relating to the early foundations prior to amalgamation; 400 Records relating to the amalgamation Process; 500 Records relating to the government of Presentation Congregation; 600 Records relating to the Presentation foundations in Newfoundland and elsewhere; 700 Records relating to the apostolic works of Presentation Congregation; 800 Records relating to programs in formation and spirituality; 900 Records relating to the Presentation interrelationships at Diocesan and Parish levels; 1000 Records relating to the Presentation Congregation Multi Media Collection.

Presentation Congregation Archives

Sacred Heart Parish (Marystown, Newfoundland) fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1915-1986, predominantly 1951-1971

Fonds consists of records which relate to ecclesiastical property and buildings in Sacred Heart Parish, as well as to various Roman Catholic organizations. The ecclesiastical property records include correspondence (1917-1986); financial statements (1915-1928); a parish boundary decree (1985) and an outline of the parish boundary on a photocopied commercial map (1985); four architectural drawings of a proposed presbytery (1960); six technical drawings - one of a proposed land exchange between the Roman Catholic Church and a parishioner (1966) and five of land in Marystown belonging to the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation (1967); two sketches of the intended layout of a parish hall (1965); four Latin documents; church legal documents and forms (1915, 1919, 1948); five black and white photographs and two colour photographs.

The records which relate to church organizations include the Altar Society minute book (1926-1937) and file (1973-1976); the Holy Name Society minute books (1958-1970) and Sunday publications book (1926-1928). As well, the fonds contains material, primarily photocopies and clippings from the Roman Catholic newspaper The Monitor reflecting the history and activities of Sacred Heart Parish.

Sacred Heart Parish (Marystown, NL : Catholic)

St. John Bosco Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1934-1979, predominant 1960-1979

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and general affairs (1960-79); canonical decrees establishing the parish and its boundaries (1964, 1982); land survey of parish property (1965) and an architectural drawing of the parish church (1969); 42 photographs, including an album presented to Archbishop Edward P. Roche at Christmas from the children of St. John Bosco School (1934), and an album documenting the funeral of Rev. Leo G. Shea (1970); and a St. John Bosco Day button (1984). Fonds includes some photocopies.

St. John Bosco (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)

St. Joseph's Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1859-1979, predominant 1907-1977

Fonds consists of financial statements (1915-25); records relating to the Reverend Gibbs Memorial Committee (1937-40); correspondence relating to building projects, boundaries, Monsignor E. P. Maher, and general parish affairs (1907-77); land deeds and related correspondence (1859, 1913, 1958-71); newspaper clippings and church publications (1954, 1979); a report entitled General Specification of Proposed Parish Church (1953); St. Roch's Club minute book (1928-31); and 12 photographs of the parish church.

St. Joseph's Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)

Results 1 to 10 of 13