Fonds - Burin Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Burin Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1816-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    United Church of Canada. Burin Pastoral Charge

Physical description area

Physical description

32 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1816-1996)

Administrative history

In 1817 Burin became a Methodist mission in the Newfoundland District of the English Wesleyan Methodist Conference under the supervision of the Wesleyan Missionary Society. Rev. J. Lewis was appointed the first minister of the mission. Conference minutes reports that in 1830, Sound Island, Rock Harbour, Oderin, Burgeo (renamed Chambers Island), Haystack, Haddock’s Brook, North Harbour, “and several other places” were visited.

The first Chapel in Burin was built at Parsons Point (reports of having a chapel and dwelling house were made in 1830) and was used until 1841 when a new one was erected at Church Rock. In 1843 the “old mission house was sold and a new one purchased”, and in 1844 a Chapel was reported being built at Bull Cove. In 1865 a second chapel was constructed and remained in operation until 1904 when the cornerstone for the third church was laid. The Church was officially opened in 1906.

The original organizational structure of the Circuit is not known but after 1874 the Burin Circuit was administered under a Sessions/Steward/Official Board organizational model. This structure continues until the present day.

The boundaries of the circuit shrunk as new missions were formed on Sound Island in 1850, Flat Islands in 1873, and Epworth in 1894. Although these new missions were formed, Burin ministers still travelled the Bay as needed. At the turn of the century Burin congregations were being listed only in the immediate area. In 1930 congregations are listed as in Collins Cove, Great Burin, Footes Cove, Bull Cove. In 2001 the Pastoral Charge consisted of congregations in Burin Bay Arm (Bethany) and Burin-Collins Cove (Zion).

Custodial history

Records remained in the Manse at Collin's Cove until they were deposited at the Conference Archives sometime after the conference archives was formed in 1966.

Scope and content

Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are financial accounts, vital statistics, minutes, reports and membership information.

The records are arranged in the following series: Series 1.0 Baptism, marriage and burial records (1816-1985); Series 2.0 Membership records (1821-1884) (predominate (1821-1863); Series 3.0 Board and committee records (1873-1961); Series 4.0 Education records (1900-1927); Series 5.0 Annual reports (1994-1996), Series 6.0 Publications (1849);and Series 7.0 Financial records (1924).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Conference archives inventory list, 1999. File level control.

Associated materials

Other records relating to Burin Pastoral charge are found in Epworth Pastoral Charge fonds, Rev. T. W. Atkinson fonds, contains copies of Baptism’s, marriages, and burials. Rev. Thomas Darby fonds contains entries of baptism’s, marriages, and burials, 1816-1887.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 24, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres