Title and statement of responsibility area
Burin Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
32 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1817 Burin became a Methodist mission in the Newfoundland District of the English Wesleyan Methodist Conference under the supervision of the Wesleyan Missionary Society. Rev. J. Lewis was appointed the first minister of the mission. Conference minutes reports that in 1830, Sound Island, Rock Harbour, Oderin, Burgeo (renamed Chambers Island), Haystack, Haddock’s Brook, North Harbour, “and several other places” were visited.
The first Chapel in Burin was built at Parsons Point (reports of having a chapel and dwelling house were made in 1830) and was used until 1841 when a new one was erected at Church Rock. In 1843 the “old mission house was sold and a new one purchased”, and in 1844 a Chapel was reported being built at Bull Cove. In 1865 a second chapel was constructed and remained in operation until 1904 when the cornerstone for the third church was laid. The Church was officially opened in 1906.
The original organizational structure of the Circuit is not known but after 1874 the Burin Circuit was administered under a Sessions/Steward/Official Board organizational model. This structure continues until the present day.
The boundaries of the circuit shrunk as new missions were formed on Sound Island in 1850, Flat Islands in 1873, and Epworth in 1894. Although these new missions were formed, Burin ministers still travelled the Bay as needed. At the turn of the century Burin congregations were being listed only in the immediate area. In 1930 congregations are listed as in Collins Cove, Great Burin, Footes Cove, Bull Cove. In 2001 the Pastoral Charge consisted of congregations in Burin Bay Arm (Bethany) and Burin-Collins Cove (Zion).
Records remained in the Manse at Collin's Cove until they were deposited at the Conference Archives sometime after the conference archives was formed in 1966.
Scope and content
Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are financial accounts, vital statistics, minutes, reports and membership information.
The records are arranged in the following series: Series 1.0 Baptism, marriage and burial records (1816-1985); Series 2.0 Membership records (1821-1884) (predominate (1821-1863); Series 3.0 Board and committee records (1873-1961); Series 4.0 Education records (1900-1927); Series 5.0 Annual reports (1994-1996), Series 6.0 Publications (1849);and Series 7.0 Financial records (1924).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Conference archives inventory list, 1999. File level control.
Other records relating to Burin Pastoral charge are found in Epworth Pastoral Charge fonds, Rev. T. W. Atkinson fonds, contains copies of Baptism’s, marriages, and burials. Rev. Thomas Darby fonds contains entries of baptism’s, marriages, and burials, 1816-1887.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 24, 2013
Language of description