Title and statement of responsibility area
C.W. Kellock & Co. collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously known as the Kellock Collection
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Microfilmed [between 1979 and 1983] (originally created 1850-1945) (Creation)
- C.W. Kellock & Co.
Physical description area
4 microfilm reels
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant firms and ship brokers in Liverpool and London in the mid-nineteenth century. The company had its origins in a firm established in Liverpool by Daniel Tonge (1788-1848) in 1820. Tonge was a master mariner and shipowner in Liverpool who established himself as a merchant and agent for the sale of ships. By 1846, his son Percival had joined him to form Daniel Tonge and Son. Two years later, Henry Curry (d. 1865) was taken into the partnership, which was renamed Tonge, Curry & Co.
In 1850, Charles Walford Kellock (d. 1897), the son of Henry Gray Kellock, joined the firm as partner with Henry Curry and Percival Tonge. Five years later, the partnership was dissolved, with Percival Tonge continuing under the name of Tonge & Co. and Charles W. Kellock remaining with Henry Curry to form Curry, Kellock & Co. In October 1864, that partnership was dissolved and two companies emerged: H.F. Curry & Co. and C.W. Kellock & Co. H.F. Curry & Co. ceased operations in 1866, the year after Henry Curry's death.
After 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of his brother W.B. Kellock. In 1885, the management of the London office was taken over by George Kay, a partner of C.W. Kellock. In the mid-1800s, Kellock's two eldest sons, William Walter Kellock (d. 1929) and Henry Gray Kellock (d. 1926), joined the company and later became partners. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897. The company continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. Upon their deaths, the management of the company was taken over by various senior partners within the firm. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active.
Scope and content
Collection consists of extracts from the business papers of the firm of C. W. Kellock and its predecessors, selected by Dr. Keith Matthews, Memorial University of Newfoundland. The selected records are copies of memoranda of agreements (sales contracts) for the Liverpool office, 1850-1945. The records contain data on virtually every vessel which passed through the hands of the company, including each vessel's name and tonnage, the purchaser and seller, the selling price, and the conditions of sale.
Immediate source of acquisition
Microfilms purchased from the National Maritime Museum between 1979 and 1983.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Extracts were microfilmed from the original records on loan to the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich from the Liverpool office of the company.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright is held by the National Maritime Museum.
Finding Aid No. 66. Some volumes also include contemporary index of vessel names.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 1, 2013
Language of description