Title and statement of responsibility area
Corner Brook Humber Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada. Corner Brook Humber Pastoral Charge
Physical description area
20 cm of pictures, textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Humber Pastoral Charge (Corner Brook East) was formed in 1948 in the Humber Presbytery, Newfoundland and Labrador Conference of the United Church of Canada. From 1925 to 1948, the congregation had been part of the Curling Pastoral Charge, and before 1925, part of the Bay of Islands Methodist Mission.
People had begun to settle in Humbermouth, especially after it had become an eastern divisional point for the railroad in the early 1900s. The first Methodist church was built there in 1903 during the pastorate of Rev. Peter Bryce. This was a small building located on Humber Road in what is now the Old United Church Cemetery.
The pulp and paper industry in the area was developing rapidly, resulting in increased population growth. In 1925, Curling and Humbermouth were united in one pastoral charge with a resident clergyman at Curling. In 1926 a hall/school was opened in Humbermouth as a place of worship and for other church-related functions. It was the first United Church school in the community.
In 1948, Humber and Curling became separate pastoral charges, although the minister at the time, Rev. Barrett, continued to serve them both. A house at Humbermouth was purchased from Albert Pear to serve as a manse. The first independent minister to the Humber charge was Barrett's successor, Rev. Woolfrey. During his tenure, a new manse was built on Station Road. The Humber United Church was built on Clarence Street and was officially opened on May 20, 1956.
The Pasadena congregation, which had originally been part of the Humber United Charge, became part of the Pasadena-Hampden charge in 1980.
Records remained in the manse in Humbermouth until the early 1990's when they were deposited in the conference archives.
Scope and content
Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Humber Pastoral Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are vital statistics, membership information, dedication booklets, minutes, and reports. Records are arranged in the following series: Series 1.0 Baptism, marriage, and burial records (1947-1988); series 2.0 Board and committee records (1964-1988); series 3.0 Women's groups records (1973-1986); series 4.0 Annual Reports; series 5.0 Church History.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Archives inventory list, 1999
Other records relating to the Humber Pastoral Charge fonds may be found in the Curling Pastoral Charge fonds, St. George's Pastoral fonds, and the Bonne Bay Pastoral Charge fonds.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 21, 2013
Language of description