Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Corpus Christi Parish (Northern Bay, N.L. : Catholic)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The centre of Corpus Christi Parish is the community of Northern Bay on the north shore of Conception Bay, Newfoundland. The parish was established in 1838, predating the Diocese of Harbour Grace by eighteen years. Currently Corpus Christi Parish has missions in Kingston (Saint Joseph's Church) and in Western Bay (Holy Rosary Church).
A church and school were constructed in the 1840s under the direction of Reverend Bernard Duffy, who served the parish for 33 years. In the 1890s a new two-room school was constructed under the supervision of Reverend John Roe to accommodate the growing number of children in Northern Bay. Reverend John Lynch (1906-1915) started the construction of a new church which was destroyed by fire shortly after its completion in 1924. Lynch's successor, Reverend Edward O'Brien, built a modern two-room school, a new presbytery and other buildings including a new hall which served as a church for a number of years.
Pastors that have served Corpus Christi Parish since the tenure of Reverend Bernard Duffy include: Joseph Donnelly (1871-1874); James Cummins (1874-1875); Michael Hanley (1875-1891); John Roe (1891-1906); Michael Nowlan (1906); John Lynch (1906-1915); Edward O'Brien (1915-1970); Edward Hearn (1970-1973); Gregory Pumphrey (1973-1978); David Heale (1978-1981); Kevin Barker (1981-1984); William Matthews (1984-1991); Brian Colbert (1991-1994); Francis Alyward (1994-1998); Michael Ryan (1998-).
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 17, 2013