Fonds - Corpus Christi Parish (Northern Bay, N.L.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Corpus Christi Parish (Northern Bay, N.L.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Also known as the Northern Bay Parish Records fonds
  • Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1943-1961 (Creation)
    Creator
    Corpus Christi Parish (Northern Bay, N.L. : Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1838-)

Administrative history

The centre of Corpus Christi Parish is the community of Northern Bay on the north shore of Conception Bay, Newfoundland. The parish was established in 1838, predating the Diocese of Harbour Grace by eighteen years. Currently Corpus Christi Parish has missions in Kingston (Saint Joseph's Church) and in Western Bay (Holy Rosary Church).

A church and school were constructed in the 1840s under the direction of Reverend Bernard Duffy, who served the parish for 33 years. In the 1890s a new two-room school was constructed under the supervision of Reverend John Roe to accommodate the growing number of children in Northern Bay. Reverend John Lynch (1906-1915) started the construction of a new church which was destroyed by fire shortly after its completion in 1924. Lynch's successor, Reverend Edward O'Brien, built a modern two-room school, a new presbytery and other buildings including a new hall which served as a church for a number of years.

Pastors that have served Corpus Christi Parish since the tenure of Reverend Bernard Duffy include: Joseph Donnelly (1871-1874); James Cummins (1874-1875); Michael Hanley (1875-1891); John Roe (1891-1906); Michael Nowlan (1906); John Lynch (1906-1915); Edward O'Brien (1915-1970); Edward Hearn (1970-1973); Gregory Pumphrey (1973-1978); David Heale (1978-1981); Kevin Barker (1981-1984); William Matthews (1984-1991); Brian Colbert (1991-1994); Francis Alyward (1994-1998); Michael Ryan (1998-).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of baptismal records (1943-1954), marriage records (1943-1954), and death records (1943-1954), as well as some confirmation cards.

Notes area

Physical condition

Records show signs of deterioration.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access restricted due to conservation concerns.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 17, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres