Fonds - Epworth Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Epworth Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

24 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1894-)

Administrative history

Epworth (Spoon Cove) became a mission of the Methodist Church of Canada, Newfoundland Conference, in 1894. Its first pastor was Rev. C. Howse. The Epworth Mission was geographically small, covering an area of less than 20 miles, with congregations in Epworth, Burin Bay Arm, Lanse'eau, Lewin's Cove, and Creston. It had a population of 1200, of which one-half were Methodist.

Originally, Epworth had been part of the Burin Mission. By 1840, Epworth had a chapel and school house. In 1890, a new church was dedicated there. By 1899, the exterior of a new church at Lewin's Cove had been completed and a new school house was under construction to serve the congregations in Lewin's Cove, Mud Cove, and Epworth.

Today the pastoral charge is comprised of congregations in Epworth, Lewin's Cove, and Winterland (which became part of the charge in 1981).

Custodial history

Records remained in the pastoral charge until the 1980s at which time they were deposited at the conference archives.

Scope and content

Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are vital statistics, membership information, minutes, financial records and publications; The records are arranged in the following series: 1.0: Baptism, marriage, and burial registers (1892-1974); 2.0 Membership records (1892-1954); 3.0: Funds/congregational financial records (1933-1968); and 4.0 Annual reports (1991-1995).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Archives inventory list, 1999

Associated materials

Other records relating to the Epworth Pastoral Charge are found in Burin Pastoral Charge fonds, Creston - Red Harbour Pastoral Charge fonds, and the Port Elizabeth Pastoral Charge fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 13, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area