Title and statement of responsibility area
Girl Guides of Labrador collection
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1970 (Vervaardig)
- Girl Guides of Canada, Newfoundland Council
1cm textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Girl Guides, a girls' voluntary organization, officially began in United Kingdom in 1910 under Agnes Baden-Powell. That same year the Girl Guide movement commenced in Canada when the first company was officially registered in St. Catherine's, Ontario. A Canadian headquarters was established in Toronto in 1912, and the Canadian Council was federally incorporated in 1917.
In Newfoundland four "Lone Guide" companies were established in St. John's (1920-1922), with their headquarters located in the United Kingdom; "Lone Guide" companies permitted girls to participate in guiding activities when registered units were not available in the locality. The Newfoundland Girl Guide Association was officially founded January 15th, 1923 in St. John's, Newfoundland and consisted of these four companies.
The aim of the organization is to challenge and assist girls and women in their personal development and to help them to become responsible citizens. Girls between the ages of six and seventeen enroll in various units under the guidance of volunteer leaders to take part in activities to earn badges, cords and certificates in a variety of fields. Camping, nature activities, and community outreach activities are predominating features of the Girl Guide movement.
From 1923 until Newfoundland's confederation with Canada in 1949, the Newfoundland Girl Guide Association was administered by the Overseas Committee of the British Girl Guides and was headed by the wife of Newfoundland's Governor as the appointed Dominion Commissioner. The Newfoundland Association directed all guiding activities according to British standards. In 1949, the Newfoundland Girl Guides joined the Girl Guides of Canada and the name was changed to the Girl Guides of Canada, Newfoundland Council. The Dominion Commissioner became the Provincial Commissioner, who was elected by the Council and appointed by the Chief Commissioner of the Girl Guides of Canada.
Mandated by the National Council, the Newfoundland Provincial Council is composed of the Provincial, Area, Division and District Commissioners, the Executive Committee, representatives from the Standing and Ad Hoc Committees, Associations and Honorary members. The Provincial Council performs the functions previously conducted by the the Newfoundland Association (1924-1949), by directing all Girl Guide activities in Newfoundland according to national standards. The Provincial Headquarter in St. John's Newfoundland services as the sole office of the Provincial Council All other activities from the areas, divisions and districts were conducted in designated areas of the province and the administrative records were in the custody of the respective Commissioners and Leaders.
The Newfoundland Girl Guides are divided into areas divisions and districts. Each level?? is headed by a commissioner and council. Each district is composed of various Units and headed by Unit Leaders. Senior Branches such as Junior Leaders, Cadets, Links and Trefoils are administered by specific Advisors and Commissioners of the Provincial Council (I'm finding this a little confusing - I think it's just the wording). In Newfoundland, as of 2006, there are 11 areas, 31 divisions, 121 districts.
Bereik en inhoud
Collection consists of Girl Guide company records for the company in Cartwright, Labrador (1938-1941); History of Girl Guiding in Happy Valley (1952-1969); Correspondence from Mary Evers-Swindell to Mrs. Sparshott regarding Girl Guides (1938); Newspaper article from the WEEKLY TELEGRAPH entitled "Good Work Against Heavy Odds" (1938).
Directe bron van verwerving
Donated by Judy Pardy (file 1 & 3); Alice Perrault (file 2).
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Originals and some photocopies of originals stored at THEM DAYS.
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Much material in THEM DAYS Archives has copyright protection. Researchers must obtain permission from copyright holders before publication in any form.
File lists and subject indexes are available.
THEM DAYS publications; photograph collection.
No further accruals are expected.