Title and statement of responsibility area
Grand Bank Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada. Grand Bank Pastoral Charge
Physical description area
50 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Grand Bank became the headquarters for the Fortune Bay Methodist Mission in the Newfoundland District of the British Wesleyan Conference in 1816. The mission embraced all points from Lamaline to Port aux Basques. Rev. Richard Knight was appointed the first missionary there, and in his two-year term, he "formed classses in both Grand Bank and Fortune."
Evidence of the places ministered by the early Fortune Bay missionaries is anecdotal and sporadic. In a report to the missionary committee in 1819, for example, Rev. John Haigh, Knight's successor noted that he had visited Harbor Briton, Jersey Harbour, and Little Bay. In 1827, another minister reported visiting Gaultos and Bay D'Espoir, and from 1827 to 1830, ministers wrote of ministering to Frenchman's Cove, Harbour Breton, Jersey Harbour, Grand Beach, Lamaline, St. Jacques, and Round Harbour.
The first chapel in Grand Bank was built in 1817. It was replaced with a new structure in 1846 that could seat about 400 people. The old chapel was converted for use as a day school, Sunday school, and hall for social service. In 1876, a new church with a capacity of 1200 replaced the smaller chapel. By 1964, construction had begun on the present day-building, which was opened in 1965.
Various communities were dropped from the visiting roster of Grand Bank missionaries as other missions were established in the area: the Burin Circuit in 1817; Garnish in 1866; Fortune in 1878. Furthermore, Grand Bank was replaced by Hermitage as headquarters for the Fortune Bay Mission in 1840. By 1900, the only community listed in the Grand Bank register outside the main community was Molliers. In 1925, the mission became a Pastoral Charge in the Newfoundland Conference of the United Church of Canada. In 1928, Grand Bank was listed as the only "preaching place" in the charge.
Records remained in the Grand Bank Pastoral Charge until they were turned over to the conference archives sometime after its formation in 1966.
Scope and content
Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are vital statistics, minutes, financial records, reports, and publications.
The records are arranged in the following series: 1.0 Baptism, marriage and burial registers, (1849-1961); 2.0 Membership Records [19-]; 3.0 Board and Committee Records (1852-1941); 4.0 Women's Groups Records (1953-1973); 5.0 Sunday School/ Sabbath School Records (1931-1942); 6.0 Correspondence/ Subject Files (1889; 7.0 Church histories [19-]; 8.0 Scrapbooks, 1963-1988; and 9.0 Annual Reports, 1958-1996.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Archives inventory list, 1999
Other records relating to Grand Bank Pastoral charge can be found in Bay Roberts Pastoral Charge fonds, Rev Reynolds diary contains baptisms 1939-1949.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 23, 2013
Language of description