Title and statement of responsibility area
Grand Falls Memorial United Church Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada. Grand Falls Memorial Pastoral Charge
Physical description area
50 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Grand Falls and Millertown Mission was formed in the Twillingate District of the Newfoundland Conference of the Methodist Church of Canada in 1908. The boundaries of the mission extended from Millertown to Glenwood and included all places on the railway line, including logging camps in the vicinity.
The first Methodist service was held in a school in Grand Falls in 1906. Records indicate that there were 13 church members, and the congregation was ministered from Glenwood and Norris Arm. Probationary ministers were stationed at Glenwood and visited Grand Falls, Scissors Cove, Little Burnt Bay, and Norris Arm. By 1915, Bishop Falls, Glenwood, and Norris Arm were part of the Bishop Falls Mission.
In 1910, a new parsonage was constructed on Carmelite Road in Grand Falls, and Rev. William Muir became the first resident minister. A church was completed in 1911 on High Street and had a capacity of 300.
In 1914, the Grand Falls Circuit had missions in Grand Falls, Bishop Falls, and Millertown. In 1919, Grand Falls became an independent circuit and has remained so ever since.
The population of the town was steadily increasing; by 1922, the local congregation had outgrown the capacity of the old church so a new church was started. The church basement was finished in 1924 and was opened as the Bennett Hall. The church was finished in 1928 and dedicated as the Memorial United Church on 11 November. Rev B. Bugden was its first pastor. In 1923, a new manse was purchased. A third manse on Hill Road was purchased in 1963. The first Methodist cemetery in Grand Falls was opened on Valley Road. In the late 1920s, a new cemetery was opened on Lincoln Road.
The church in Grand Falls was organized from the beginning under the Session/Official Board structure. A Quarterly Official Board, Trustee Board, and a building committee were organized. Other committees dealing with Sunday school and temperance and moral reform soon followed. The Ladies' Aid Society was formed in 1910 and later became the Women's Association. Other women's groups followed, including the Women's Patriotic Association, the Currie Mission Circle in 1920, and the Young Women's Friendship Circle in 1950. The Explorer Group was organized in 1950, and by 1975 there were three groups of Canadian Girls in Training, one senior and two intermediate.
In 1922, a resolution was passed at the Quarterly Official Board meeting to ask the Presbyterian congregation of the town to amalgamate with the Methodist Church. However, the Presbyterians at St. Matthew's resisted the offer and remained opposed to Church Union.
In 1988, a new church building committee was appointed by the Official Board, and on 11 November 1990, the New Memorial United Church and Christian Education Centre was dedicated.
The records remained in the charge until the 1980's when they were turned over to the conference archives.
Scope and content
Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are minutes, reports, correspondence, membership and subscription records, publications, accounts and annual reports.
The records are arranged in the following series: Board and Committee records, 1908-1975; Sunday School records, 1920-1975; Subscription lists, membership lists, and accounts, 1904-1920; Annual Reports, 1925-1967; and Church history and other published material, 1938-1975.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this fonds.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Conference archives inventory list, 1999
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 8, 2013
Language of description