Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the last company represented in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1880-1961, predominant 1898-1960 (Creation)
- Hodge Brothers (Firm)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Hodge Brothers was a general dealer and fish business operating in Twillingate, Newfoundland, from 1918-63. The partners were Cyril L. Hodge (1887-1963) and Arthur H. Hodge (1881-1963), sons of Richard Dorman Hodge.
In the 1870s, Richard Dorman Hodge and his brother Thomas Dorman Hodge acquired the premises at Twillingate, formerly owned by Slades of Poole and Newfoundland. They operated the business in partnership with William Waterman and William Edward Waterman under the name William Waterman & Company. By 1886, William Waterman & Co. was in need of funds and was possibly entering a period of decline. Richard Hodge continued to operate the business at Twillingate. Thomas moved into St. John's at that time but remained involved in the Twillingate business.
From 1886-87, John Wheadon Hodge assumed control of the William Waterman & Co. operations at Change Islands and Fogo. Between 1884 and 1895, Richard Hodge experienced financial difficulties and reputedly became insolvent in 1895. J.W. Hodge took over the Twillingate business (ca. 1897), operating it under his name as a branch of his Fogo-based firm. Richard Hodge (d. 1908) continued to be active in the Twillingate business until his retirement, when his sons, Arthur and Cyril took over the operation of the business under the direction of J. W. Hodge until he retired to Toronto in 1918.
Cyril and Arthur Hodge then operated the business independently under the name Hodge Brothers. As general dealers, they imported hardware, dry goods, coal, and provisions for retail and exported fish, fish products, and berries.
The Hodge brothers were active in the Twillingate community. Arthur became a justice of the peace (1904) a member of the first board of directors for the Notre Dame Hospital (1924) and a member of the Committee of Stewards (1931). He was also a prominent member of the Twillingate Masonic Lodge. Cyril was active in church affairs and was listed as choir master of the North Side Church in Twillingate (1931). The brothers died within a few months of each other in 1963. The company closed the same year.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the business records of Cyril and Arthur Hodge at Twillingate and of their predecessors, William Waterman & Co. and J.W. Hodge. It also includes some personal records of the Hodge family.
Fonds is arranged in seven series: Correspondence, 1898-1961; Financial records, 1880-1958; Miscellaneous, 1887-1953; Shipping and fisheries, 1904-1954; Employment records, 1912-1957; Personal records, 1886-1909; Catalogues and price lists, 1911-1952.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description