Title and statement of responsibility area
Holy Redeemer Parish (Trepassey, N.L.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Trepassey Parish Collection
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
6 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Holy Redeemer Parish was established ca. 1845. Prior to the establishment of Holy Redeemer Parish, communities from Renews to Cape St. Mary's were part of Assumption Parish, established in 1834. Currently this parish includes the communities of Portugal Cove South, Biscay Bay, Trepassey and St. Shotts, with Trepassey as the ecclesiastical center of the parish.
When Holy Redeemer Parish was initially created in 1845, it also included the smaller settlements of Cape Race, Long Beach, the Drook and Cape Pine. In the 1960s, the people of Long Beach and The Drook resettled in Trepassey and the families living at Cape Race and Cape Pine eventually moved to nearby communities; The first parish priest of Holy Redeemer Parish was Rev. Jeremiah O'Neill (1845-1861). While the exact date of the construction of the first church is not known, a description by Captain Brown of the H.M.S. Danae (1871) notes the presence of a "neat Roman Catholic Church" However, as the first school in Trepassey was opened in 1841, one can assume that a church had been built by that time. The Presentation Sisters and established a Convent School in Trepassey in 1882.
Catholic chapels and schools were constructed in other communities within the Holy Redeemer Parish. The first church in Portugal Cove was constructed prior to 1861 as a report on schools noted that the first school was established in 1861 and was conducted in the Catholic chapel. By 1875, a new school was under construction. Catholic schools were established in Daniel's Point prior to 1875 , Biscay Bay [ca. 1883] and in The Drook by 1911. The first school was built in St. Shotts prior to 1911 followed by the construction of a school-chapel in 1913.
With the consolidation of school boards in 1967, Trepassey accommodated high school students from the surrounding communities. When the new Holy Redeemer Elementary school opened in 1971, smaller schools in the surrounding areas were closed, although the school in St. Shotts, remained open.
Pastors who have served Holy Redeemer Parish include Jeremiah O'Neill (1845-1861), John Ryan (1862-187?), Thomas Hannebury (1871-), J.A. Dunne (-1948), Francis Mullowney (1948-1988). List is incomplete.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of financial statements (1915-30); parish boundaries (1982, 1985); parish land documents (1952-76); and parish business correspondence (1948-76); Fonds also consists of some documentation concerning the establishment of the Confraternity of Saint Anne, affiliated with the Sodality to the Archconfraternity of Saint Anne de Beaupre; Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities
Immediate source of acquisition
Parish records acquired from Holy Redeemer Parish. Additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
English predominates. Two Latin documents included.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box list is available.
See Assumption Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Holy Redeemer Parish. Also consult the Holy Trinity Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Assumption Parish.
Further accruals are not expected on a regular basis but the fonds remain open for the transfer of any additional material that may be forwarded.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 22, 2013
Language of description