Fondos - Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L.) fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L.) fonds

Tipo general de material

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

  • Source of title proper: Title based on church program found in the fonds

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Código de referencia

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1883-1994, predominant 1952-1967 (Criação)
    Creador
    Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

12 cm of textual records
5 photographs: b&w

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1833-)

Historia administrativa

Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove) was established in 1833 by Michael A. Fleming, vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland. As a vicariate Apostolic, the ordinary hierarchy of the church in Newfoundland was not yet considered to be fully evolved and since, technically, a parish is a portion of a diocese, no parishes can be said to have existed prior to the erection of Newfoundland as a diocese in 1847. However, the term "parish" appears to have been used informally to refer to a geographic territory possessing a church and resident priest (the term "district" was sometimes used). Regardless of the terminology, 1833 marks the establishment of Holy Rosary as a distinct organizational entity. Prior to this date, Portugal Cove formed part of the District of St. John's which then included the communities of Torbay, Pouch Cove, Topsail, and Petty Harbour.

The first Catholic church in Portugal Cove was built in 1833. The cornerstone of the present-day church was laid by Edward P. Roche, Archbishop of St. John's, in 1915. Extensive renovations were undertaken in 1981 and the church was dedicated and reopened by Archbishop A. L. Penney on 9 March 1982.

The territorial boundaries of Holy Rosary Parish have evolved since its erection in 1833. Originally, clergy stationed at Holy Rosary were responsible for making periodic visits to most of the settlements on the south shore of Conception Bay. However, much of this territory (roughly from Seal Cove to Topsail) was dismembered from Holy Rosary Parish with the erection of St. Edward's Parish (Topsail) in 1877. In 1907, Archbishop Howley detached the territory of Twenty Mile Pond and Major's Path from the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish and annexed it to Holy Rosary, expanding its boundaries. In 1982, Holy Rosary was again dismembered when the community of St. Thomas was transferred to the newly erected Holy Family Parish (Paradise). Currently, the parish boundaries encompass the communities of Portugal Cove, St. Philip's, and the Airport Heights-Major's Path areas of St. John's.

Under the denominational education system, the activities of Holy Rosary Parish were intimately intertwined with Catholic schools operating within its boundaries, as the parish priest was responsible for their construction and upkeep. The first parochial school was built shortly after the establishment of the parish. By the 1960s, there were three schools in operation within the parish: Sacred Heart School and Roncalli School-Chapel in Portugal Cove, and St. Joseph's School at Windsor Lake. In 1968, Sacred Heart and St. Joseph's were closed and their students incorporated into Roncalli. Today, Roncalli operates as an elementary school and is no longer under church control due to denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

Pastors who have served Holy Rosary Parish since its establishment in 1833 include: Edward Troy (1883-1844?); Thomas O'Connor (1844?-1884); John Walsh (1884-1899); John T. Ashley (1900?-1911); Thomas Gough (1912-1934); Peter Sheehan (1935-1949); James T. Fennessey, Administrator (1950); James Loyola Lacey (1951-1979); James Hickey (1979-1986); Kevin J. Molloy, Administrator (1986-1989); Robert J. Ryan (1989-1996); and John McGettigan (1996- ).

In 2002, parochial affairs are directed by the Holy Rosary Parish Council and several committees and church societies, including the Finance Committee, two Service Committees, and two presidia of the Legion of Mary (this list is not exhaustive).

Historial de custodia

Alcance y contenido

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish property, boundaries, building projects, finances, and general affairs (1907-77); records relating to parish property, including conveyances, bills of sale and boundary sketches (1883-1914); financial statements (1915-28); canonical decrees dismembering Holy Rosary Parish and erecting Holy Family Parish (1982); church programs (1982, 1994); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1965, 1984-87); and 5 black and white photographs. Fonds includes some photocopies and transcriptions.

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

Arreglo

Idioma del material

  • inglés
  • latín

Escritura del material

Nota sobre las lenguas y escrituras

English predominates. Some records in Latin. No translations available.

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Instrumentos de descripción

Box list available.

Materiales asociados

For records that predate the establishment of Holy Rosary Parish, see the Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds. For records relating to detached territories, see St. Edward's Parish fonds and Holy Family Parish fonds.

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Minuta

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created - May 9, 2013

Idioma de descripción

  • inglés

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Lugares relacionados

Tipos relacionados