Fonds - Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L.) fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L.) fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document graphique
  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on church program found in the fonds

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1883-1994, predominant 1952-1967 (Production)
    Producteur
    Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

12 cm of textual records
5 photographs: b&w

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1833-)

Histoire administrative

Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove) was established in 1833 by Michael A. Fleming, vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland. As a vicariate Apostolic, the ordinary hierarchy of the church in Newfoundland was not yet considered to be fully evolved and since, technically, a parish is a portion of a diocese, no parishes can be said to have existed prior to the erection of Newfoundland as a diocese in 1847. However, the term "parish" appears to have been used informally to refer to a geographic territory possessing a church and resident priest (the term "district" was sometimes used). Regardless of the terminology, 1833 marks the establishment of Holy Rosary as a distinct organizational entity. Prior to this date, Portugal Cove formed part of the District of St. John's which then included the communities of Torbay, Pouch Cove, Topsail, and Petty Harbour.

The first Catholic church in Portugal Cove was built in 1833. The cornerstone of the present-day church was laid by Edward P. Roche, Archbishop of St. John's, in 1915. Extensive renovations were undertaken in 1981 and the church was dedicated and reopened by Archbishop A. L. Penney on 9 March 1982.

The territorial boundaries of Holy Rosary Parish have evolved since its erection in 1833. Originally, clergy stationed at Holy Rosary were responsible for making periodic visits to most of the settlements on the south shore of Conception Bay. However, much of this territory (roughly from Seal Cove to Topsail) was dismembered from Holy Rosary Parish with the erection of St. Edward's Parish (Topsail) in 1877. In 1907, Archbishop Howley detached the territory of Twenty Mile Pond and Major's Path from the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish and annexed it to Holy Rosary, expanding its boundaries. In 1982, Holy Rosary was again dismembered when the community of St. Thomas was transferred to the newly erected Holy Family Parish (Paradise). Currently, the parish boundaries encompass the communities of Portugal Cove, St. Philip's, and the Airport Heights-Major's Path areas of St. John's.

Under the denominational education system, the activities of Holy Rosary Parish were intimately intertwined with Catholic schools operating within its boundaries, as the parish priest was responsible for their construction and upkeep. The first parochial school was built shortly after the establishment of the parish. By the 1960s, there were three schools in operation within the parish: Sacred Heart School and Roncalli School-Chapel in Portugal Cove, and St. Joseph's School at Windsor Lake. In 1968, Sacred Heart and St. Joseph's were closed and their students incorporated into Roncalli. Today, Roncalli operates as an elementary school and is no longer under church control due to denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

Pastors who have served Holy Rosary Parish since its establishment in 1833 include: Edward Troy (1883-1844?); Thomas O'Connor (1844?-1884); John Walsh (1884-1899); John T. Ashley (1900?-1911); Thomas Gough (1912-1934); Peter Sheehan (1935-1949); James T. Fennessey, Administrator (1950); James Loyola Lacey (1951-1979); James Hickey (1979-1986); Kevin J. Molloy, Administrator (1986-1989); Robert J. Ryan (1989-1996); and John McGettigan (1996- ).

In 2002, parochial affairs are directed by the Holy Rosary Parish Council and several committees and church societies, including the Finance Committee, two Service Committees, and two presidia of the Legion of Mary (this list is not exhaustive).

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish property, boundaries, building projects, finances, and general affairs (1907-77); records relating to parish property, including conveyances, bills of sale and boundary sketches (1883-1914); financial statements (1915-28); canonical decrees dismembering Holy Rosary Parish and erecting Holy Family Parish (1982); church programs (1982, 1994); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1965, 1984-87); and 5 black and white photographs. Fonds includes some photocopies and transcriptions.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais
  • latin

Écriture des documents

Note de langue et graphie

English predominates. Some records in Latin. No translations available.

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Box list available.

Éléments associés

For records that predate the establishment of Holy Rosary Parish, see the Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds. For records relating to detached territories, see St. Edward's Parish fonds and Holy Family Parish fonds.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Ébauche

Niveau de détail

Moyen

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Created - May 9, 2013

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés