Fundo - Immaculate Conception Parish (Cape Broyle, N.L.) fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

Immaculate Conception Parish (Cape Broyle, N.L.) fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Material gráfico
  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Variations in title: Cape Broyle Parish
  • Source of title proper: Title based on correspondence in the fonds

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1852-1985 (Produção)
    Produtor
    Immaculate Conception Parish (Cape Broyle, N.L. : Catholic)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

16 cm of textual records
1 photograph: b&w

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1934-1998)

História administrativa

Immaculate Conception Parish was established in 1934 and included the communities of Brigus South, Admiral's Cove and Cape Broyle. Prior to this date these communities were part of Holy Trinity Parish. Immaculate Conception Parish did not always have a resident priest and was frequently administered by the parish priest in Ferryland. In 1998, Immaculate Conception Parish was canonically suppressed, along with Holy Trinity Parish (Ferryland) and Holy Apostles Parish (Renews). The communities of these parishes, from Brigus South to Cappahayden, formed the new Holy Family Parish.

The first church in Cape Broyle was constructed circa 1816. It was a small chapel that was built in the middle of the old cemetery. A man named Edward Burgess built the church and Bishop Lambert laid the corner stone. This church was taken down in 1849 and a second one built in the 1850s. In 1894, this church was also removed a third church was built in 1872 by Bishop Michael Howley. The current church was built between 1946-1947 by Rev. Michael Kennedy. The church that was built by Howley was turned into the Community Centre.

The small chapels at Admiral's Cove and Brigus South were also built under the direction of Rev. Kennedy. In 1951, Rev. Kennedy completed the church at Brigus South that Rev. A. Maher had started thirty-one years ago. As well, in 1964, the church at Brigus South was blessed and titled The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. A new church was built at Admiral's Cove in 1955 and was called The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Brigus South had it's first school established in 1844 but it closed in 1848 with the notion of saving money for repairs or to build a new school. The school was opened again in 1855 but it was in a rented house which the school board bought in 1859.

The first school in Admiral's Cove opened around 1866 and was in a shed that had been converted into a school-house. The school closed in 1870 but was re-opened by 1883. Admiral's Cove go a new school built in 1904.

Both the Brigus South and Admiral's Cove schools were phased out with the consolidation of schools in the late 1960's. The primary and elementary children were then bussed to the school in Cape Broyle and the high school students went to Baltimore Regional High School in Ferryland.

An 1984 article from the Monitor, written by a parishioner, says that the biggest organization in their parish was the Parish Council which was made up of about fourteen members. This Council was responsible for the activities of the parish. Aside from the council, there was also an altar society that played an active part in the church; extraordinary ministers; readers; collectors; altar boys; a choir, and, at that time, a 200th anniversary committee. As well, the article mentions that there was a bingo committee which governed six smaller bingo committees and a committee for regular weekly card games that was ran by all the women in the parish with small groups responsible for each game. The senior citizens were also organized and held their own functions. Correspondence in the fonds also mentions the Holy Name Society and a "Ways and Means Committee" that looked after such things as raising funds for a parish centre.

The parish priests who served Immaculate Conception Parish are Rev. Michael Kennedy (1934-1968), Rev. Hubert Whelan (1969-1971), and Rev. D. P. Murphy (1971-1973). As well, Immaculate Conception Parish had the following administrator's: Rev. John Corrigan (1973-[1977?]); Rev. Dermot McGettigan (1982-1983); Rev. Edward Sutton (1983-1985); Rev. John McGettigan (1990-1996); and Rev. Paul Lundrigan (1996-1998).

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Fonds consists of financial statements, correspondence, and receipts (1895-1959 with substantial gaps); church property (1852-1966); parish correspondence (1951-73); parish boundaries (1985); and one photograph; Fonds also consists of records relating to Rev. Michael J. Kennedy, including his diary of the construction of the church in Cape Broyle (1945-46); his confirmation register (1933-64); a visitation notebook (ca. 1966); and two certificates pertaining to a relic; Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

The immediate source of the fonds is Immaculate Conception Parish but additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.

Organização

Idioma do material

  • inglês
  • latim

Script do material

Nota ao idioma e script

English predominates. Two Latin documents included.

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Box list and a partial file list are available.

Materiais associados

See Holy Trinity Parish for records that predate the establishment of Immaculate Conception Parish.

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

Further accruals are not expected as this Parish was canonically suppressed in 1998. If, however, additional material on Immaculate Conception Parish becomes available, it will be accepted.

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Preliminar

Nível de detalhe

Parcial

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created - April 29, 2013

Idioma da descrição

  • inglês

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados

Géneros relacionados