Fonds - Immaculate Conception Parish (Harbour Grace, N.L.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Immaculate Conception Parish (Harbour Grace, N.L.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Also known as the Harbour Grace Parish Records fonds
  • Statements of responsibility: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1806-1992 (Creation)
    Creator
    Immaculate Conception Parish (Harbour Grace, N.L. : Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

13 v. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1830-)

Administrative history

Immaculate Conception Parish, located in Harbour Grace on the western side of Conception Bay, was established in 1830. The first priest known to have been appointed to the mission of Harbour Grace was Reverend Patrick Phelan. While the exact year of his arrival is not known, he was in the community in 1794. In 1806, Reverend Thomas Ewer took charge of the mission and built the first chapel in Harbour Grace in 1809. Ewer also built chapels in Brigus, Port de Grave, Harbour Main, Carbonear, Northern Bay and Bay de Verde. Reverend Charles Dalton, a missionary from Ireland, began his tenure when Reverend Ewer died in 1833. The original wooden chapel was torn down, and in 1844 excavation was underway for the construction of a new Roman Catholic Cathedral. The Diocese of Harbour Grace was formed in 1856, with the nephew of Reverend Charles Dalton, Reverend John Dalton, becoming the first Bishop. The Cathedral Of The Immaculate Conception was dedicated in 1868 and was in use only a few years before being destroyed by fire in 1889. A new cathedral was started immediately and was consecrated in 1899.

In 1851, Reverend John Dalton brought the Presentation Sisters to Harbour Grace, the first foundation after the Mother House in St. John's. They remained until 1973. In 1869 Reverend John March became the first native of the diocese to be named Bishop. During his Episcopate, the Knights of Columbus were introduced into Newfoundland. The first council, known as the Dalton Council, was founded at Harbour Grace in 1909.

Currently the parish serves the people of Harbour Grace, Spaniard's Bay, Riverhead and Island Cove. In 1956 the Bishop's Seat was moved from Harbour Grace to Grand Falls.

Pastors that have served Immaculate Conception Parish since its established include: Thomas Ewer (1806-1833); Charles Dalton (1833-1859); John J. Walsh (1859-1872); Francis E. Walsh (1872-1881); Stephen O'Flynn (1877); Donald McInns (1882); John Roe (1883-1891); John March (1889-1906); William Finn (1906-1912); James J. Walker (1912-1918); Michael F. Dinn (1918-1926); Jeremiah Howard (1926-1934); Francis P. Meaney (1934-1940); Francis R. Terry (1940-1944); Edward J. Shea (1944-1953); William P. Hogan (1949-1957); Joseph O'Brien (1957-1984); Kevin J. Barker (1984-1987); Michael J. Walsh (1987-1990); James A. Beresford (1990-1996); Ramon Bolatets (1996- )

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of certificates of birth (1915, 1921); copies of baptismal records (1830, 1831, 1832); confirmation cards for Riverhead (8 Jul. 1951 and 10 Jul. 1951), Spaniard's Bay (11 Jul. 1951 and 11 Jul. 1956), Thicket (22 Feb. 1951), Heart's Desire (7 Jul. 1952), Harbour Grace (8 Jul. 1951 and 10 Jul. 1956); baptismal ledger books for Harbour Grace (1806-1828, 1828-1845, 1866-1958, 1891-1991, 1930-1963); marriage ledger books for Harbour Grace (1806-1828, 1828-1845, 1886-1992); confirmation ledger books for Harbour Grace (1925-1977; 1925-1992); death ledger books for Harbour Grace (1866-1871, 1902-1929, 1930-1963).

Notes area

Physical condition

Records and ledgers are very fragile.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access restricted due to conservation concerns.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 3, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area