Print preview Close

Showing 112 results

Archival description
St. John's (NL)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Health and Life Sciences Centre Functional and Development Study fonds

  • CA NL0001 010
  • Fonds
  • 1969

The Medical School and University Hospital project was first considered in the period 1961-1963, and its need and feasibility was supported by Lord Brain in his study and subsequent report on the Health Services in the Province in 1965-1966. It also demonstrated and reaffirmed the MacFarlane report of 1966. Following a conference held in St. John’s in the fall of 1966 to discuss the effects of the establishment of a health sciences centre, a Brief to the Government of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador was prepared and submitted by the University in November 1966. A commitment in principle was made by Premier Smallwood on behalf of the Provincial Government on 18 April, 1967, recognizing the immense benefits, which would accrue to the Province’s health resources as a result of the institution of a medical school and university hospital.

The publication of the Royal Commission on Health Services in Canada and the subsequent establishment of the Health Resources Fund by the Federal Government confirmed the local and national need to train more medical and para-medical practitioners and assisted in no small measure in establishing the viability of the project terms and initial cost. The University, in recognising the close disciplinary relationships between the Health and Life Sciences and the academic and economic benefits, which would be achieved, decided in 1967 to integrate the Life and Health Sciences into one physical and administrative complex. The facilities in this complex would include schools of the health-related professions in a similar close association to the continuing benefit of Newfoundland and Labrador.

In the summer of 1968, following the appointment of the Dean of Medicine, work began on functional planning and development of a master plan for the Health and Life Sciences Centre within the framework of Sir Frederick Gibberd’s master plan for the University as a whole. This planning and development document found here in this collection, is divided into two parts and defines the functional objectives of the proposed Centre, outlines its functional requirements and organization in terms of personnel and space and recommends a plan or framework for its physical development.

The Functional and Development Plan for the Health and Life Sciences Centre at Memorial University represented a further, positive step towards the realization of Newfoundland’s Medical School and University Hospital. Also, it defined the future expansion of the important programmes of the Life Sciences and the establishment of training facilities for the health-related professions.

The functional and development plan was developed to meet the specific needs of Newfoundland and Labrador’s medical system not only in relation to the health services of the Province but also to ensure that fiscal demands arising from the construction of the Centre could be met by the Government in a flexible way. The development concept recommended in this report was not a rigid plan but a system of building the facilities for this very exciting and forward-looking Centre.

The wide range of alternative phasing possibilities meant that the plan would need to be monitored, ensuring that the University’s needs were met, phase by phase, and the Centre’s full potential was realized without inhibiting the basic aim of integration of the disciplines. It was also intended the plan be extremely functional to produce an efficient and economic Centre, both in construction and in operation, and that the design concept proposed would enable the Provincial and Federal Government to embark upon the construction of this Centre with confidence.

The study was performed by Llewellyn-Davies Weeks Forestier-Walker & Bor of London, England and Ottawa, Ontario. The fonds consists of the following series:

1.0 Publications, April 1969

General Hospital Development Plan fonds

  • CA NL0001 011
  • Fonds
  • 1969

In February 1968 a report entitled “St. John’s and the Avalon Peninsula - Future Integration of Hospital Services” was submitted to the Department of Health. Combined in this report, at the specific request of the minister, were recommendations for the future role of the St. John’s General Hospital in the region and for a phased upgrading of the hospital. The development plan in this collection is based on the recommendations in that Hospital Services Report, developed into necessary detail, and was completed by Llewellyn-Davies Weeks Forestier-Walker & Bor of London, England and Ottawa, Ontario in June 1969.

The need for a medical school and a university hospital located on campus had been firmly established at the time of this report, first by Lord Brain in the Royal Commission on Health Services in Newfoundland and Labrador, and later by the MacFarlane Commission. Subsequently, the proposal was further endorsed by a Planning Conference to which had been invited distinguished members of the medical professions from Canada, the UK and the USA. Despite the fact that planning and movement had begun on the new 400 bed University Hospital, it was clear that several years would elapse before the new facilities would become available. In the meantime, the General Hospital was intended to maintain essential services to the community and to continue its role in graduate medical education. Pending completion of the University Hospital, the “General”, as it was commonly known, was to participate in undergraduate clinical teaching with the likelihood of maintaining this participation, relative to its later role in the region, as an affiliated teaching hospital.

The report is divided into the following chapters:

Introduction

  1. The Consultants Terms of Reference
  2. The Future Functional Plan
  3. The Redevelopment Requirement
  4. The Existing Hospital
  5. Programme of Redevelopment
  6. Phasing
  7. Engineering
  8. Cost Estimates
    Space Programmes
    Illustrations

Department of Administrative Services and City Clerk fonds

  • CA NL0023 RG 01
  • Fonds
  • 1880-2010

Correspondence and subject files pertaining to the general administration of the Department of Administrative Services and City Clerk; minutes of weekly or biweekly City Council meetings ranging from 1892 to 2006; minutes and correspondence that was created by the various subcommittees of Council; all surviving material relating to the administration of municipal elections in St. John's such as nomination papers, ballots, voting cards, Applications for Deputy Returning Officers, newspaper clippings, swearing in of new city officials, information on wards and polling stations, tally sheets, and other related documentation; a number of ledgers and notebooks related to the activities of the Assessment Review Court; bound letterbooks of out-going correspondence of the Secretary and later Secretary-Treasurer of the St. John's Municipal Council for the period 1892 to 1916; index cards of properties in St. John's; signed official copies of By-Laws of the City of St. John's for the period
1968-1996; correspondence and subject files kept by the City Clerk's Department relating the Mundy Pond Urban Renewal Scheme; memos and correspondence retained by the data Processing Manager; a number of documents used by Assessors in determining the value of a property for taxation purposes; files that have been created relating to specific properties dating back to 1911; various record books and registers maintained by the City Clerk and the City Engineer; City Engineer Record Book, 1918-1943; three volumes of Crown Rent ledgers for the period 1896-1931; files and photographs maintained by the Clerk of the Works and Building Superintendent about the construction of City Hall between 1969-1973; records documenting the rebuilding of St. John's after the Great Fire of July 8, 1892 specifically land expropriated for the purposes of street reconstruction and widening; correspondence, sketches and photographs regarding residential and commercial properties which were considered for inclusion in the Central Area Redevelopment Scheme; miscellaneous subject files maintained by the City Clerk discussing a wide range of issues and programs; items that were created by or for the City of St. John's and is branded with the City name or logo; audio cassettes of the proceedings of the St. John's Local Board of Appeals, also known as the Appeal Board.

Department of Administrative Services and City Clerk

Rev. George W. Battock fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1892 predominant, 1918-1984

The fonds consists of records relating to Rev. Battock's life, including a baptismal certificate, academic records from Halifax Seminary (1914-1918) and invitations to 50th and 60th anniversary celebrations. The fonds also includes correspondence concerning the construction of schools in St. Lawrence (1921) and St. Vincent (1924), the designation of the parish of St. Vincent (1924), as well as newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.

Battock, George W.

Thomas Cochrane fonds

  • File
  • 1827-1828

The fonds consists of one letterbook. The letters are signed W.A. Clarke, secretary to the Governor. The letterbook includes letters sent to the magistrate of Harbour Grace; extracts of other letters; circulars, and a sample census form.

Cochrane, Sir Thomas John

Bishop Patrick Lambert fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1754-1816

Fonds consists of letters of appointment, diary notes, testimonial letters, land lease for the Old Chapel (St. John's), correspondence and a copy of his last will and testament. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.

Lambert, Patrick

Lottie and George C. Harris family fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1873-1955, predominant 1927-1935

Fonds consist of textual and graphic records which depict the life and activities of the family. The textual records include family correspondence (1935, 1948); minute books related to the family business (1928-1951); legal documents (1902); and 1 scrapbook of newspaper clippings.

The graphic materials include 4 tintypes and 36 photographs (predominantly b&w; 15 x 20cm). There are 2 photograph albums; one contains photographs (b&w); the second includes photographs, postcards and newspaper clippings.

The fonds also includes 8 watercolours by Lottie P. Harris, which are signed LPH.

Harris, Lottie and George C. (Grand Bank, N.L.)

Rev. Jeremiah O'Donnell fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1814, 1840-1891

Fonds consists of records related to Rev. Jeremiah O'Donnell, including canonical documents. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings, and printed material related to his life.

O'Donnell, Jeremiah

Cochrane Street United Church (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1882-2006

The fonds consists of records which document the work and activities of Cochrane Street United Church congregation, its boards and committees and its organizations, with the records starting in 1882.

The records consist of the administrative records of the congregation which include the Quarterly Official Board, the Boards of Session and Stewards, their committees, both standing and ad hoc, and the Board of Management starting in 1987, and its committees. The fonds also includes financial records, comprising of financial statements and reports as well as some audited reports. Also included are vital statistic records dating from the independence of the congregation in 1890 and membership records dating from 1916. Annual reports, many of which were published, are included. Women's and men's groups, youth groups, and Sunday School records are also a part of this fonds.

The records are arranged in the following series: board and committee records (1882-2005); financial records (1935-2004); legal records (1876-1981); baptism, marriage and burial records (1890-2006); membership records (1891-2005); congregational meetings (1930-2003); annual reports (1916-2005, predominant 1948-2005); general correspondence (1979-2003); Sunday School records [1886-198-]; youth groups records [196-]-[199-]; women's groups records (1931-2005); men's groups records [191-]-2001; related records ([19-]-2004).

Cochrane Street United Church (St. John's, N.L.)

Charles H. Danielle fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1881-1901

The fonds consists of the papers of Charles H. Danielle including, correspondence (1881, 1901); a list of suspected thefts within Octagon Castle (1901); program of "King Momus" Oriental themed masquerade ball (1888), directed by Danielle; 1 sales book, (1894-97), 1 photograph of an unidentified older man.

Danielle, Charles H.

Results 1 to 10 of 112