Print preview Close

Showing 7 results

Archival description
John Job collection
Collection · [1900-1931]

Collection consists of 2 photograph albums created by the Job family, reflecting the Job business ventures, Job family activities, as well as historical events. The geographic area represented by the photographs is almost exclusively Newfoundland and Labrador, with the exception of photographs from the Search for the Franklin expedition in Hudson Bay (1903-04).

Albums include photographs of the Job premises in St. John's, Quidi Vidi, Placentia, L'Anse au Loop, Blanc Sablon, Little Heart's Ease, Bell Island, and Whitbourne. Images include buildings (interior and exterior), wharves,shipping, and the fishery, including marine fishery, sealing and whaling.

Historical events represented in the albums include the royal visit of the Duke of York (1901), the sealers' strike (1902), the unveiling of the war memorial in St. John's (1924) by Field Marshall Haig, and scenes from the Viking Disaster (1931). The photographs also illustrate the economic activity and the cultural landscape in that era.

Job, William John
Fonds · 1925-1988, predominant 1962-1988

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to Mary Queen of Peace School, Mary Queen of Peace Parish Hall, and the general operations of both St. Raphael's and Mary Queen of Peace parishes (1952-79); financial statements (1925-30); construction proposals (1975-76); architectural drawings (1968, 1976-77); newspaper clippings relating to the opening of the new church (1985); Parish Pastoral Council minute book and resource binder (1987-88); and 2 black and white photographs.

Mary Queen of Peace Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Fonds · 1968-1975

The plans provide a detailed look at the estimated and speculative development of Memorial University's new St. John's campus. They show proposed sites of buildings, parking lots, student residences, faculty living quarters, etc., all in relation to St. John's landmarks and locations. The Master Plan is at the back of the report: the text and drawings explain why the plan takes the form it does and shows how it may be transformed from a two-dimensional paper pattern to an actual place that once can inhabit and walk about. The sections examined in detail throughout the plans include: 1. The University and the City; 2. The Academic Brief; 3. The Topographical Study;4. The South Campus and the Junior Division; 5. The Building Pattern; 6. The Circulation System; 7. The Landscape Design; 8. The Schematic Master Plan; 9. The Main Block; 10. The Library; 11. Convocation Hall; 12. Physical Education; 13. University Theatre; 14. South Campus Link Block; 15. The Senior College; 16. Architectural Character.

Memorial University of Newfoundland
Fonds · 1934-1979, predominant 1960-1979

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and general affairs (1960-79); canonical decrees establishing the parish and its boundaries (1964, 1982); land survey of parish property (1965) and an architectural drawing of the parish church (1969); 42 photographs, including an album presented to Archbishop Edward P. Roche at Christmas from the children of St. John Bosco School (1934), and an album documenting the funeral of Rev. Leo G. Shea (1970); and a St. John Bosco Day button (1984). Fonds includes some photocopies.

St. John Bosco (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Fonds · 1859-1979, predominant 1907-1977

Fonds consists of financial statements (1915-25); records relating to the Reverend Gibbs Memorial Committee (1937-40); correspondence relating to building projects, boundaries, Monsignor E. P. Maher, and general parish affairs (1907-77); land deeds and related correspondence (1859, 1913, 1958-71); newspaper clippings and church publications (1954, 1979); a report entitled General Specification of Proposed Parish Church (1953); St. Roch's Club minute book (1928-31); and 12 photographs of the parish church.

St. Joseph's Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Fonds · 1953-1987, predominant 1962-1979

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to Smithville Crescent property, establishment of the parish, appointments, financial matters, building projects, Our Lady of Lourdes School and Parish, and other general parish affairs (1953-1979); canonical decrees delineating St. Pius X's boundaries and suppressing Our Lady of Lourdes (1982); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1956-1987); architectural sketch of St. Pius X Elementary School (1965); and 3 photographs. Fonds includes some photocopies.

St. Pius X Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Thomas Andrew Hall fonds
Fonds · 1835, 1840, 1913-1942

The fonds consists of professional and personal fonds of T.A. Hall, predominantly documents and correspondence which relate to Hall's various building projects, including a hospital for the insane; Rose Blanche church; St. John's Cathedral decorations; Port de Grave breakwater; Rennies Mill Road church; Queen's College chapel; various blueprints including, the Church of England boys' orphanage (circa 1936), Placentia bridge (1941), Newfoundland airport, Humber Arm dam, etc. The fonds also contains personal correspondence, a sketchbook of people, images, and landscapes, a photograph album of the Argentia Naval Air Base, a travel log, and postcards. The fonds also includes the 1835 will of John Hall and a related letter (1840).

Hall, Thomas Andrew