Showing 112 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions St. John's (NL)
Print preview View:

Health and Life Sciences Centre Functional and Development Study fonds

  • CA NL0001 010
  • Fonds
  • 1969

The Medical School and University Hospital project was first considered in the period 1961-1963, and its need and feasibility was supported by Lord Brain in his study and subsequent report on the Health Services in the Province in 1965-1966. It also demonstrated and reaffirmed the MacFarlane report of 1966. Following a conference held in St. John’s in the fall of 1966 to discuss the effects of the establishment of a health sciences centre, a Brief to the Government of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador was prepared and submitted by the University in November 1966. A commitment in principle was made by Premier Smallwood on behalf of the Provincial Government on 18 April, 1967, recognizing the immense benefits, which would accrue to the Province’s health resources as a result of the institution of a medical school and university hospital.

The publication of the Royal Commission on Health Services in Canada and the subsequent establishment of the Health Resources Fund by the Federal Government confirmed the local and national need to train more medical and para-medical practitioners and assisted in no small measure in establishing the viability of the project terms and initial cost. The University, in recognising the close disciplinary relationships between the Health and Life Sciences and the academic and economic benefits, which would be achieved, decided in 1967 to integrate the Life and Health Sciences into one physical and administrative complex. The facilities in this complex would include schools of the health-related professions in a similar close association to the continuing benefit of Newfoundland and Labrador.

In the summer of 1968, following the appointment of the Dean of Medicine, work began on functional planning and development of a master plan for the Health and Life Sciences Centre within the framework of Sir Frederick Gibberd’s master plan for the University as a whole. This planning and development document found here in this collection, is divided into two parts and defines the functional objectives of the proposed Centre, outlines its functional requirements and organization in terms of personnel and space and recommends a plan or framework for its physical development.

The Functional and Development Plan for the Health and Life Sciences Centre at Memorial University represented a further, positive step towards the realization of Newfoundland’s Medical School and University Hospital. Also, it defined the future expansion of the important programmes of the Life Sciences and the establishment of training facilities for the health-related professions.

The functional and development plan was developed to meet the specific needs of Newfoundland and Labrador’s medical system not only in relation to the health services of the Province but also to ensure that fiscal demands arising from the construction of the Centre could be met by the Government in a flexible way. The development concept recommended in this report was not a rigid plan but a system of building the facilities for this very exciting and forward-looking Centre.

The wide range of alternative phasing possibilities meant that the plan would need to be monitored, ensuring that the University’s needs were met, phase by phase, and the Centre’s full potential was realized without inhibiting the basic aim of integration of the disciplines. It was also intended the plan be extremely functional to produce an efficient and economic Centre, both in construction and in operation, and that the design concept proposed would enable the Provincial and Federal Government to embark upon the construction of this Centre with confidence.

The study was performed by Llewellyn-Davies Weeks Forestier-Walker & Bor of London, England and Ottawa, Ontario. The fonds consists of the following series:

1.0 Publications, April 1969

General Hospital Development Plan fonds

  • CA NL0001 011
  • Fonds
  • 1969

In February 1968 a report entitled “St. John’s and the Avalon Peninsula - Future Integration of Hospital Services” was submitted to the Department of Health. Combined in this report, at the specific request of the minister, were recommendations for the future role of the St. John’s General Hospital in the region and for a phased upgrading of the hospital. The development plan in this collection is based on the recommendations in that Hospital Services Report, developed into necessary detail, and was completed by Llewellyn-Davies Weeks Forestier-Walker & Bor of London, England and Ottawa, Ontario in June 1969.

The need for a medical school and a university hospital located on campus had been firmly established at the time of this report, first by Lord Brain in the Royal Commission on Health Services in Newfoundland and Labrador, and later by the MacFarlane Commission. Subsequently, the proposal was further endorsed by a Planning Conference to which had been invited distinguished members of the medical professions from Canada, the UK and the USA. Despite the fact that planning and movement had begun on the new 400 bed University Hospital, it was clear that several years would elapse before the new facilities would become available. In the meantime, the General Hospital was intended to maintain essential services to the community and to continue its role in graduate medical education. Pending completion of the University Hospital, the “General”, as it was commonly known, was to participate in undergraduate clinical teaching with the likelihood of maintaining this participation, relative to its later role in the region, as an affiliated teaching hospital.

The report is divided into the following chapters:

Introduction

  1. The Consultants Terms of Reference
  2. The Future Functional Plan
  3. The Redevelopment Requirement
  4. The Existing Hospital
  5. Programme of Redevelopment
  6. Phasing
  7. Engineering
  8. Cost Estimates
    Space Programmes
    Illustrations

Department of Administrative Services and City Clerk fonds

  • CA NL0023 RG 01
  • Fonds
  • 1880-2010

Correspondence and subject files pertaining to the general administration of the Department of Administrative Services and City Clerk; minutes of weekly or biweekly City Council meetings ranging from 1892 to 2006; minutes and correspondence that was created by the various subcommittees of Council; all surviving material relating to the administration of municipal elections in St. John's such as nomination papers, ballots, voting cards, Applications for Deputy Returning Officers, newspaper clippings, swearing in of new city officials, information on wards and polling stations, tally sheets, and other related documentation; a number of ledgers and notebooks related to the activities of the Assessment Review Court; bound letterbooks of out-going correspondence of the Secretary and later Secretary-Treasurer of the St. John's Municipal Council for the period 1892 to 1916; index cards of properties in St. John's; signed official copies of By-Laws of the City of St. John's for the period
1968-1996; correspondence and subject files kept by the City Clerk's Department relating the Mundy Pond Urban Renewal Scheme; memos and correspondence retained by the data Processing Manager; a number of documents used by Assessors in determining the value of a property for taxation purposes; files that have been created relating to specific properties dating back to 1911; various record books and registers maintained by the City Clerk and the City Engineer; City Engineer Record Book, 1918-1943; three volumes of Crown Rent ledgers for the period 1896-1931; files and photographs maintained by the Clerk of the Works and Building Superintendent about the construction of City Hall between 1969-1973; records documenting the rebuilding of St. John's after the Great Fire of July 8, 1892 specifically land expropriated for the purposes of street reconstruction and widening; correspondence, sketches and photographs regarding residential and commercial properties which were considered for inclusion in the Central Area Redevelopment Scheme; miscellaneous subject files maintained by the City Clerk discussing a wide range of issues and programs; items that were created by or for the City of St. John's and is branded with the City name or logo; audio cassettes of the proceedings of the St. John's Local Board of Appeals, also known as the Appeal Board.

Department of Administrative Services and City Clerk

William Vallance Whiteway fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1888, 1891

The fonds consists of a limited number of legal and political papers. It includes one indenture, dated 8 August 1888, for the property known as "Darby O'Hollohan's Plantation." The fonds also includes one confidential letter to William V. Whiteway from Robert Bond, dated 23 June 1891, which examined the prospects of the Confederation between Newfoundland and Canada.

Whiteway, Sir William Vallance

Rev. William Ahern fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1860, 1883-1907

Fonds consists of records related to Rev. William Ahern, including baptismal certificate, canonical documents, and correspondence. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.

Ahern, William

Brooking & Co. fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1859-1872

Fonds consists of a list of prices charged by the company for specific items, showing cash or "on account" charges, 1859-72. Separate lists exist for summer, fall, and winter prices. Fonds also documents price-fixing between Brooking & Co. and Grieve & Bremner in the 1860s.

Brooking & Co.

Basil Fearn fonds

  • Fonds
  • [194- ]-[197-]

Fonds consists of 235 black and white photographs and negatives, mainly of vessels constructed at the Clarenville Shipyard during the period that Basil Fearn was manager of the yard, commencing in 1947. The majority of the photographs are identified. At least 50 percent of the images show vessels under construction at the yard. Some of the images were printed from negatives in 1997.

Vessels include the Matthew, the Terra Nova, the Newfoundland, the Marilyn Marie, the Richard, the Northern Wave, the George Kentner, the Philip E. Lake, the Penny Luck, the Shirley Blanche, the Algerine, the Hermitage, the Random Sound, the East Wind and the Right Wind, built for Job Brothers.

Fearn, Basil

James Darrell Gill fonds

  • Fonds
  • Photocopied [197?] (originally created 1840-1861)

Fonds consists of a photocopied letter book of James Darrell Gill for 1840-61. It contains letters from New York primarily to family members in St. John's, Newfoundland. The letters are arranged chronologically.

Gill, James Darrell

Rev. John Kinsella fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1841-1871

Fonds consists of records related to Rev. John Kinsella, including his baptismal certificate and pastoral appointments. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.

Kinsella, John

St. John's Athenaeum fonds

  • 1892-1894

The fonds consists of a ledger recording the books borrowed by the patrons of the Athenaeum library. The ledger contains a gap, from July 1892 to January 1893, due to the Great Fire of 1892.

St. John's Athenaeum

Results 1 to 10 of 112