Print preview Close

Showing 13 results

Archival description
John Job collection
Collection · [1900-1931]

Collection consists of 2 photograph albums created by the Job family, reflecting the Job business ventures, Job family activities, as well as historical events. The geographic area represented by the photographs is almost exclusively Newfoundland and Labrador, with the exception of photographs from the Search for the Franklin expedition in Hudson Bay (1903-04).

Albums include photographs of the Job premises in St. John's, Quidi Vidi, Placentia, L'Anse au Loop, Blanc Sablon, Little Heart's Ease, Bell Island, and Whitbourne. Images include buildings (interior and exterior), wharves,shipping, and the fishery, including marine fishery, sealing and whaling.

Historical events represented in the albums include the royal visit of the Duke of York (1901), the sealers' strike (1902), the unveiling of the war memorial in St. John's (1924) by Field Marshall Haig, and scenes from the Viking Disaster (1931). The photographs also illustrate the economic activity and the cultural landscape in that era.

Job, William John
Fonds · 1879-1933

Fonds consists of correspondence and shipping papers for the company operations, 1879 -1933. Material of particular interest is the correspondence and accounts of C. T. Bennett of Bristol, which illustrates the complexities of the marketing structure and the economic factors which affected the salt fish industry as well as providing insight into the day-to-day operations of the business. The fonds also includes vessel expenditures and charter parties. The architect's specifications for the building of the Stonehouse on Water Street, Carbonear, are contained in the correspondence for 1907.

The fonds is arranged in four series: Correspondence, 1880-1933; Financial records, 1879-1920; Shipping records, 1881-1923; Miscellaneous bound volumes, 1892-1920.

John Rorke and Sons
Thomas Andrew Hall fonds
Fonds · 1835, 1840, 1913-1942

The fonds consists of professional and personal fonds of T.A. Hall, predominantly documents and correspondence which relate to Hall's various building projects, including a hospital for the insane; Rose Blanche church; St. John's Cathedral decorations; Port de Grave breakwater; Rennies Mill Road church; Queen's College chapel; various blueprints including, the Church of England boys' orphanage (circa 1936), Placentia bridge (1941), Newfoundland airport, Humber Arm dam, etc. The fonds also contains personal correspondence, a sketchbook of people, images, and landscapes, a photograph album of the Argentia Naval Air Base, a travel log, and postcards. The fonds also includes the 1835 will of John Hall and a related letter (1840).

Hall, Thomas Andrew
Fonds · 1968-1975

The plans provide a detailed look at the estimated and speculative development of Memorial University's new St. John's campus. They show proposed sites of buildings, parking lots, student residences, faculty living quarters, etc., all in relation to St. John's landmarks and locations. The Master Plan is at the back of the report: the text and drawings explain why the plan takes the form it does and shows how it may be transformed from a two-dimensional paper pattern to an actual place that once can inhabit and walk about. The sections examined in detail throughout the plans include: 1. The University and the City; 2. The Academic Brief; 3. The Topographical Study;4. The South Campus and the Junior Division; 5. The Building Pattern; 6. The Circulation System; 7. The Landscape Design; 8. The Schematic Master Plan; 9. The Main Block; 10. The Library; 11. Convocation Hall; 12. Physical Education; 13. University Theatre; 14. South Campus Link Block; 15. The Senior College; 16. Architectural Character.

Memorial University of Newfoundland
Fonds · 1859-1979, predominant 1907-1977

Fonds consists of financial statements (1915-25); records relating to the Reverend Gibbs Memorial Committee (1937-40); correspondence relating to building projects, boundaries, Monsignor E. P. Maher, and general parish affairs (1907-77); land deeds and related correspondence (1859, 1913, 1958-71); newspaper clippings and church publications (1954, 1979); a report entitled General Specification of Proposed Parish Church (1953); St. Roch's Club minute book (1928-31); and 12 photographs of the parish church.

St. Joseph's Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Fonds · 1934-1979, predominant 1960-1979

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and general affairs (1960-79); canonical decrees establishing the parish and its boundaries (1964, 1982); land survey of parish property (1965) and an architectural drawing of the parish church (1969); 42 photographs, including an album presented to Archbishop Edward P. Roche at Christmas from the children of St. John Bosco School (1934), and an album documenting the funeral of Rev. Leo G. Shea (1970); and a St. John Bosco Day button (1984). Fonds includes some photocopies.

St. John Bosco (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Fonds · 1906-1984, predominant 1916-1978

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish property, building projects, finances, appointments, and general affairs (1916-1978); records relating to parish property, including mortgages, assignments, leases, and property sketches (1917-1931); architectural drawings of parish buildings (1953-1971); financial statements (1915-1927); addresses to Archbishops Roche and Skinner (1938, 1952); church record book containing notes and clippings on parish history (1982); newspaper clippings (originals and photocopies) relating to parish history (1938-1984); parish bulletins (1957, 1975); and 12 photographs. Fonds includes some photocopies.

St. Michael's Parish (Bell Island, N.L. : Catholic)
Fonds · 1982-1984

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and the redistribution of parish assets (1982-84); canonical decree establishing the parish and defining its boundaries (1982); and newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1983-84). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Holy Family Parish (Paradise, N.L. : Catholic)
Fonds · 1915-1986, predominantly 1951-1971

Fonds consists of records which relate to ecclesiastical property and buildings in Sacred Heart Parish, as well as to various Roman Catholic organizations. The ecclesiastical property records include correspondence (1917-1986); financial statements (1915-1928); a parish boundary decree (1985) and an outline of the parish boundary on a photocopied commercial map (1985); four architectural drawings of a proposed presbytery (1960); six technical drawings - one of a proposed land exchange between the Roman Catholic Church and a parishioner (1966) and five of land in Marystown belonging to the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation (1967); two sketches of the intended layout of a parish hall (1965); four Latin documents; church legal documents and forms (1915, 1919, 1948); five black and white photographs and two colour photographs.

The records which relate to church organizations include the Altar Society minute book (1926-1937) and file (1973-1976); the Holy Name Society minute books (1958-1970) and Sunday publications book (1926-1928). As well, the fonds contains material, primarily photocopies and clippings from the Roman Catholic newspaper The Monitor reflecting the history and activities of Sacred Heart Parish.

Sacred Heart Parish (Marystown, NL : Catholic)
Fonds · 1953-1987, predominant 1962-1979

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to Smithville Crescent property, establishment of the parish, appointments, financial matters, building projects, Our Lady of Lourdes School and Parish, and other general parish affairs (1953-1979); canonical decrees delineating St. Pius X's boundaries and suppressing Our Lady of Lourdes (1982); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1956-1987); architectural sketch of St. Pius X Elementary School (1965); and 3 photographs. Fonds includes some photocopies.

St. Pius X Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)