Title and statement of responsibility area
J.W. Hodge (Change Islands, N.L.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the earliest company represented in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- J.W. Hodge. Change Island Branch (N.L.)
Physical description area
11 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
J. W. Hodge (Change Islands, Newfoundland ) was a branch of J. W. Hodge, a fish and fishery supply business headquartered in Fogo, with branches at Twillingate, Change Islands, and Joe Batt's Arm from 1887-1918. John Wheadon Hodge established himself at the head of a business that became one of the most prominent mercantile firms operating in northeastern Newfoundland. Hodge also owned a small fleet of fishing schooners.
From the 1870s to 1887, the business at Change Islands was owned by William Waterman & Co., a partnership which included Thomas Dorman Hodge, Richard Dorman Hodge, William Waterman, and William Edward Waterman. This partnership operated businesses at Fogo, Twillingate, and Change Islands. The Change Islands branch was managed by James Cox Waterman. In 1887, John Wheadon Hodge purchased the Change Islands operations from the partnership and operated it under his own name as J.W. Hodge. He retained J. C. Waterman as agent, who was later suceeded by Lewis G. Hyde.
In 1918, J. W. Hodge withdrew from business and Hyde assumed control of the Change Islands branch, operating it independently until 1922, when he sold it to the Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company. Members of the Hodge family owned shares in the business under Lewis G. Hyde. They were also major shareholders in the Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company.
The records were housed in a fish store owned by Bernard Peckford.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the business records of the J.W. Hodge branch at Change Islands and includes ledgers, journals, and other business records spanning almost 90 years of operation from the early 1870s to the end of the 1950s. It represents the records of four successive businesses that operated from the same premises during the period: William Waterman & Co.
J.W. Hodge; Lewis G. Hyde; and the Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company. Upon change in ownership, each new business assumed the records of its predecessor; thus, there is little apparent break in the records themselves. The original order has not been maintained.
Fonds is arranged in four series: Correspondence, 1888-1937; Financial records, 1872-1957; Miscellaneous, 1920-1928; Shipping and fisheries papers, 1884-1941.
Immediate source of acquisition
Bernard Peckford donated the records to the Maritime History Archive.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Users should be aware that copyright rules and regulations may apply to some parts of this fonds.
Finding aid No. 69
See also J. W. Hodge (Fogo) fonds; Hodge Brothers (Twillingate) fonds; J. W. Hodge (Joe Batt's Arm) fonds.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 20, 2013
Language of description