Title and statement of responsibility area
J.W. Hodge (Fogo, N.L.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on predominant company name in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- J.W. Hodge (Firm)
Physical description area
14 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
J.W. Hodge was a Newfoundland fish and fishery supply business headquartered in Fogo, with branches at Twillingate, Change Islands, and Joe Batt's Arm, which operated from 1887 to 1918. John Wheadon Hodge (d. 1936) established himself at the head of a business that became one of the most prominent mercantile firms in northeastern Newfoundland. Hodge also owned a small fleet of fishing schooners.
The Hodge business at Fogo was originally established by John Slade of Poole in the eighteenth century. This was followed by a succession of partnerships and mergers until the 1870s, when Thomas Dorman Hodge became the agent for William Waterman & Co. at Fogo. For at least part of the period between 1870 and the 1890s, the business was run by a partnership of the Waterman and Hodge families. The original partners were Thomas Dorman Hodge, Richard Dorman Hodge, William Waterman, and William Edward Waterman, trading under the name of William Waterman & Co. In September 1887, John Wheadon Hodge purchased the Fogo and Change Islands businesses from the partnership.
J.W. Hodge retired from the business in 1918 when the tragic deaths of two of his sons caused him to leave the area. His successor was the St. John's-based Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company, which bought out the Fogo business in 1918 and the Change Islands branch in 1922.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of a portion of the records from the Fogo headquarters of J.W. Hodge and the Fogo branch of its successor company, the St. John's-based Newfoundland and Labrador Export Company. The fonds also includes ledgers of a previous owner, possibly an earlier Hodge family member.
The records consist of correspondence, some business ledgers and journals, stock books, fish collection books, fish market reports, shipping papers, price lists, and catalogues.
Fonds is arranged in six series: Correspondence, 1879-1945; Financial records, 1871-1947; Miscellaneous legal papers, 1884-1930; Shipping and fisheries, 1881-1939; Price lists and catalogues, 1906-1936; Personal papers, 1912-1939.
Immediate source of acquisition
The material in this fonds was acquired by Memorial University in 1969 from Martin Bowe, a local antiques dealer. Dr. George Story negotiated their purchase.
The arrangement of the records does not reflect the changes in partnership and ownership during the period for which records have survived. They have been arranged as a single fonds with notations of ownership changes in the finding aid. Some of the material originally included in this fonds has subsequently been transferred to other fonds. Notations in the file list indicate such transfers.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright is held by the Maritime History Archive.
Finding Aid No. 69
See also J. W. Hodge (Change Islands) fonds; Hodge Brothers (Twillingate) fonds; J. W. Hodge (Joe Batt's Arm) fonds
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 27, 2013
Language of description