Title and statement of responsibility area
Linda Mugford fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on donor of fonds
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1960-2006, 1991-1996, 2001-2006 (Vervaardig)
- A. H. Murray
Physical Extent: 4.9 cm textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
A.H. Murray & Company Limited, St. John's, was a leading Newfoundland mercantile firm for most of the twentieth century. The company engaged in the general supply trade of the inshore and Labrador cod fisheries. The company was also involved in exporting and importing, the offshore sealing industry, shipping, as well as a dealer in marine engines. In more recent times, the company has been strongly associated with building supplies.
James Murray (1864), a Scottish emigrant and member of the House of Assembly (MHA), immigrated to St. John's in the 1830s. A broker, his first venture was in making hard bread (or sea biscuit), but by 1845 he was also involved in more general trading in the cod fisheries and sealing. This trade expanded under the direction of his son, James Murray Jr. (1843-1900). He went bankrupt following the loss of his company's assets and records in the Great Fire of 1892.
In 1918, Andrew H. Murray (1879-1965) and his brother David (ca. 1877-1971) re-established the family business and incorporated it as A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd. A.H. (Bill) Crosbie, Murray's son-in-law, and the youngest son of Sir John Crosbie, joined the company in 1952. When A.H. Murray died in 1965, Crosbie became managing director. On 1 January 1979, A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd. restructured and amalgamated its subsidiary companies - Murray & Co. (St. Anthony) Ltd. and Murray Agencies and Transport Co. Ltd. - as Murray Industrial Ltd.
Over the years A.H. Murray formed a number of subsidiary shipping companies. These included Newfoundland Shipping Company Ltd. (1911-25), Annzac Steamships Company Limited (1916-23), Baccalieu Shipping Company Ltd.(1917-22), and Salmonier Shipping Company Ltd.(1947-62). Other enterprises with which the company was involved included: Salt Importers Association (1940-66), Newfoundland Coal Company (1948-63), Blu-Flame Gas Company Ltd., (1963), Newfoundland Agency Ltd., and Colonial Cordage Company (1959-62).
Donated by Linda Mugford
Bereik en inhoud
A typed seven page document written by William A. Andersen titled “Makkovik’s History Traces 140 Years,” and “A Case study of the Andersen family and the origin and development of the community of Makkovik,” a marriage certificate for Abraham Mugford and Winnifred Pottle from 1925 and a genealogy file for the surname Rich
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Some originals at THEM DAYS
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Much material in THEM DAYS Archives has copyright protection. Researchers must obtain permission from copyright holders before publication in any form.
File lists are unavailable
Further accruals are expected.
Linda Mugford was born in Cartwright in 1949. She was a teacher and moved to Makkovik in the 1960s until the 1970s. She worked with Labrador Legal Services and with Public Safety.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Regels of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Taal van de beschrijving