Title and statement of responsibility area
Little Bay Islands Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
34 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Little Bay Islands was an appointment of the old Green Bay Circuit. In 1856, its membership was 16 and increases followed in 1859 when the Society class shows 22 members at Little Bay Islands.
The first church or Meeting House for Little Bay Islands was a log house with an open fireplace. It was built halfway between the two harbours, Northern and Southern Harbours. This meeting house lasted for several years because it was not until 1866 that the second Church was built. This church was built on the opposite side of the road from the old cemetery and Rev. F. Scott was the first minister on record, having ministered there in 1867.
The community of Little Bay Islands was supplied from Exploits previous to 1873 when this missions name appeared on the minutes with Charles Myers as its pastor. Sometimes Pilley's Island and Long Island missions were connected with Little Bay Islands and sometimes worked separately. The first parsonage was built in 1874. Two new churches were erected in Little Bay Islands in 1875.
During the year of 1891, the Little Bay Island Mission was divided and the northern part of the mission was renamed Little Bay Island Mission and the southern part was known as Pilley's Island Mission.
Records indicate that a new church was dedicated on March 1, 1885 with preachers being Revs. J.N. Vickers and G. Noble. From this mission, Walter G. Jones, Harold Parsons, William Grimes and W.J. Morris entered the Ministry. According to the Little Bay Circuit Accounts Books 1889-1911, the boundaries of the Little Bay Islands Circuit included the following communities: Boat Harbour, Harry's Harbour, Jackson's Cove, Little Bay, Three Arms, Wild Bight and Wolf Cove.
After 1925, the following communities were included in the Little Bay Islands Circuit: Lush's Bight, where a new church was built in 1921, Cutwells Arm; Wards Harbour, Wellman's Cove, Mile's Cove, Port Anson, Long Island and Beaumont where a new church was built in 1924.
Little Bay Islands was an appointment of the Green Bay Circuit and was supplied from Exploits previous to 1873. The Little Bay Islands Mission was divided in 1891 and the southern part became Pilley's Island Mission with the northern part being the Little Bay Islands Mission. The records of the Little Bay Islands Pastoral Charge remained in the pastoral charge until they were transferred to the United Church Conference Archives in September 1981.
Scope and content
The fonds consist of parish registers of the pastoral charge and records generated by the Little Bay Islands pastoral charge. The records relate to the activities of the pastoral charge, its functional bodies which include, Women's Group Records, Patriotic Committee Minute Books, Youth Groups, Membership Records, Finance records of pastoral charge and recording of Pastoral charge vital statistics. The majority of the records are in the form of scrapbooks, agendas and minutes, reports, financial statements, registers and annual reports.
The fonds are arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1867-1967; Burial Records, 1867-1964; Membership Records, 1872-1954; Board and Committee Records, 1881-1970; Legal and Property Records, 1984; Education, 1876-1964; Women's Groups, 1955-1970; Youth Groups Records, 1939-1965; Other Groups Records, 1913-1920; Scrapbooks, 1942 and 1956; Funds and Congregational Financial Records, 1913-1963; Annual Report, 1990.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid is available.
Other records relating to the Little Bay Islands Pastoral Charge fonds may be found in the old Green Bay Circuit.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 16, 2013
Language of description