Fonds - M. Button & Sons fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

M. Button & Sons fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892-1964 (Creation)
    Creator
    M. Button & Sons

Physical description area

Physical description

5.1 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1843-1953)

Administrative history

M. Button & Son was a Newfoundland family mercantile firm, located at New Melbourne, Trinity Bay, in the period 1843-1953. The company operated a general store and was deeply involved with the fishery.

M. Button & Sons was founded by Moses Button (d. 1901) who came to New Melbourne (formerly known as Russell's Cove) from Old Perlican in the 1860s as the community's first school teacher. He also fished and served as a Methodist lay preacher. In 1893, he was appointed as a justice of the peace, an appointment that was later bestowed upon his two sons.

In 1893, Button opened a store, M. Button & Sons, in partnership with his two sons, William (1891-1938) and Elisha. M. Button & Sons was involved in supplying the fishery and in general trading. In addition to the general store, the operation expanded to include a lobster canning factory, a cod-liver oil factory, saw mills, several wharves, stages, and other auxiliary buildings. At its peak, the firm had the largest general store between Hant's Harbour and Old Perlican, Trinity Bay. The firm had two schooners (used in the Labrador fishery and in coastal trade) and up to 26 cod-traps that were leased to fishermen. Like most Newfoundland outport firms, Buttons operated mostly on the truck, or credit, system, taking payments in fish, oil and other staple products for goods and supplies issued from their general store.

M. Button & Son suffered a financial decline in the 1930s but continued operations on a reduced scale until the 1950s. Following the death of Lucy Button in 1953, the family closed the business.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of personal papers of Moses Button and William Button, and business records of the firm of M. Button & Sons. The business papers consist of ledgers, account books and correspondence relating to the operation of the firm from 1892 to its closure in 1953. The personal material includes daily diaries kept by William Button which contain entries on weather, community events, births and deaths, and activities in St. John's and New Melbourne.

The fonds is arranged in five series: Correspondence, 1892-1951; Financial records, 1894-1951; Miscellaneous (legal records, lists and accounts, and published material) 1892-1964; Advertising and price lists, 1912-1942; Personal papers, 1892-1938.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Mrs. Nancy Button and Jennifer Button of New Melbourne in 1987.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright is held by the creator or his/her heirs.

Finding aids

Finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 8, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres