Fonds - Musgrave Harbour Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Musgrave Harbour Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1873-1999 (Creation)
    United Church of Canada. Musgrave Harbour Pastoral Charge

Physical description area

Physical description

9.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Musgrave Harbour, formerly known as Muddy Hole, was colonized by people from Bonavista and Western Bay. In its early years, Musgrave Harbour was visited by Methodist preachers from Greenspond. From 1870-1874, Solomon Matthews did faithful pioneer work there. In 1874, when the Newfoundland Conference of the Methodist Church was organized and a rearrangement of Circuits and Missions was deemed necessary, Musgrave Harbour became a separate mission with the Rev. Henry Lewis as its first minister.

Previously to 1874, Musgrave Harbour was the first born of the Greenspond Circuit. John B. Wheeler, Esq., J.P., was, for many years, the leading lay worker combining in himself a local preacher, a superintendent of the Sunday School, circuit steward and other offices both civil and religious. He was a most acceptable local preacher. The people of this charge are noted for their cordial cooperation with their ministers. Solomon Hann and Ernest W. Mouland entered the ministry from this circuit, and others fill honored positions in the civil life of the Island and other lands.

Musgrave Harbour had the following appointments: Aspen Cove, Ladle Cove and Milford along with Wadham Island which was an appointment of this circuit during the summer when fishermen from other islands attend. Each of the communities under Musgrave Harbour's charge had its own little place of worship. The congregation of Aspen Cove built a new church in 1960. The foundation was poured for Ladle Cove's new church in November 1957 and the church, which is presently in use, was opened for worship in October 1961. The old church in Ladle Cove, which was opened in 1894 by Rev. Thomas Darby, was closed the same day as the new one was opened. Construction of a new church in Musgrave Harbour began in early 1969 and was completed in October of the same year. Wadham Island also had a small church built there.

Custodial history

The records of the Musgrave Harbour Pastoral Charge were maintained at the Greenspond Pastoral Charge until it was made a separate Mission in 1874. The vital statistics records remained in the Musgrave Harbour Pastoral Charge until they were transferred to the United Church Archives sometime after 1960.

Scope and content

Fonds consist of records pertaining to the Musgrave Harbour Pastoral Charge which includes Musgrave Harbour, Aspen Cove, Ladle Cove and Milford. These records relate to the activities of the Charge and its functional bodies, financial management of the pastoral charge and the pastoral charge vital statistics. The majority of the records are in the form of minutes, reports, financial records and vital statistics.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some registers are restricted because of their deteriorating condition. Photocopies have been made available for research purposes.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Some items from Ladle Cove were forwarded to United Church Conference Archives on March 1, 1987. Further accruals are expected at a later date.

Related materials


Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 7, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area