Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Newfoundland Society of Art was founded in 1925 by Fanny (Hector) McNeil (1869-1928), suffragist, and Albert E. (A.E.) Harris (1900-1933), artist and engineer, as well as other members of the Old Colony Club (a St. John's social group). Members included Agnes Ayre (artist), Millicent King Penney (artist), Elsie Herder, Gwen Mewx (Cubist artist), and Kathleen Kelly (artist).
The Society's mandate was to sponsor annual exhibitions of local and imported art, and to export local art. From 1925-1927, the Society held three exhibitions, which included local art, as well as paintings imported from Canada. The Society folded in 1937, following a series of financial troubles, as well as the deaths of its founders, McNeil (1928) and Harris (1933). The Society was replaced by the existing St. John's Art Students Club.