Fonds - Oke family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Oke family fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Previously known as Oke's Carriage Factory and Undertaking Rooms; Oke's Funeral Home

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title is based on content of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1913-1968 (Creation)
    Creator
    Oke (family)

Physical description area

Physical description

6 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1833-1968)

Biographical history

The Oke family documented in the fonds are the descendents of lighthouse builder and inspector Robert Oke, an English immigrant who had initially been employed at Burin by the Slade mercantile firm. The Oke family established several family businesses in Harbour Grace and in St. John's.

William Robert Oke (1833-1894), son of Robert Oake, established Oke's Carriage Factory and Undertaking Rooms in Harbour Grace in 1856; the business was relocated to Duckworth Street, St. John's. Four of Oke's sons were involved in the business: Robert Kammay, John Carnell, William Carnell, and Edward Landgon; the name of the firm was changed to William R. Oke & Sons, Builders (1885) to reflect their involvement. William R. Oke & Sons constructed carraiges, wheelbarrows, cartwheels and caskets.

Following the St. John's Great Fire (1892), the factory, which was uninsured, was completely destroyed. A son, John Carnell Oke, reestablished the business on Prescott Street as John C. Oke & Sons, later renamed Oke's Carriage Factory (ca. 1900). Gordon Jeans Oke, son of J.C. Oke, entered the business as a partner in 1906 and assumed full control of the firm in 1931.

After World War II, the Oke family phased out carriage production, although the coffin factory remained in operation until 1968. In 1968, following 62 years in the trade, Gordon Oke retired and the business closed.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of papers of the Oke's Carriage Factory and Undertaking Rooms, Oke's Funeral Home, and some personal papers and correspondence belonging to John Carnell Oke and Gordon Oke. The fonds includes tax returns (1920-1924), correspondence (1913-1968), notebooks, insurance policies (1915,1950), and related records such as an Associated Funeral Directors Service membership card.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File level access

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

M-116

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 20, 2013

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres