Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anglican Parish of Bay de Verde, Bay de Verde, NL
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Bay de Verde St. Barnabas
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
During the 1700s and early 1800s, the communities situated at the top of the Bay de Verde peninsula were visited three or four times a year by the Church of England missionaries stationed at Harbour Grace. Bay de Verde was granted the status of a mission in 1825 and it was about that time that churches were built at Grate's Cove and Bay de Verde. Construction of the first Church of England church in Bay de Verde began in 1821. On May 12, 1891 the present church was consecrated. At Grate's Cove, Rev. Rouse had church number two built. Rev. J.L. Cragg laid the foundation stone of Church number three on March 25, 1895 and the Bishop consecrated the "handsome little Church" on July 21, 1899. Church number four, which was moved to Bay de Verde from Harbour Grace, was consecrated by Bishop White on November 18, 1937.
Rev. Rouse, in his reports to the S.P.G., in the 1880s, referred to Caplin Cove as a place where people would go in the winter months so that they would easily be able to obtain winter fuel. By 1892, enough families were established there for the Bishop to appoint Josiah Cull to the office of Lay reader. In 1916, they moved into their present church.
In 1971 Bay de Verde became part of the Parish of Carbonear. On January 1, 1988, Bay de Verde, Grate's Cove and Caplin Cove were given the status of a single parish.