Title and statement of responsibility area
Anglican Parish of Conception Bay South
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
Anglican Parish of Foxtrap
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Anglican Parish of Conception Bay South
5cm of textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
For many years Topsail was included in the Mission of Foxtrap and the Church of England congregations were served by visiting clergy from St. John's. As early as September, 1832, Thomas Martin Wood was made a Deacon by Bishop Inglis, and before the year was out he was appointed to the Charge of St. John's Outports, which at that time included Topsail and the other settlements on the south side of Conception Bay and Petty Harbour.
The first resident clergyman in Foxtrap was a Missionary - Benjamin Fleet, who came to Newfoundland and ordained Priest in 1842 by Bishop Spencer. After 4 years in the Burin Mission he moved to Foxtrap, where he died in 1876. Rev Fleet and his people built a first small chapel which was later replaced with a more pretentious one. It was said that he ordered men to sit on one side of the Nave and the woman on the other side. Between 1895 and 1911, Foxtrap and Topsail split.
In 1905 St. Peter's Church was built at Hopewell, but still remained part of the Foxtrap Mission. Rev. Caldwell came in 1904 as the Rector of the Foxtrap/Hopewell Mission and at that time the rectory was on the site, in Foxtrap, where the Queen Elizabeth High School used to stand on Lodge Road. In 1906, Rev. Caldwell, appointed two members for the Select Vestry from the communities of Long Pond, Foxtrap, Middle Bight, Kelligrews, Greeleytown and Peachytown. In 1912 the mission was extended to Indian Pond in Seal Cove. By 1923 there were 2,000 members.
In 1928 the Mission of Foxtrap was raised to a Parish status and was now known as the Foxtrap/Hopewell Parish.
In 1976, St. Peter's Mission became a separate parish to be known as the Parish of Upper Gullies (Hopewell), comprised of Upper Kelligrews, Upper Gullies, Seal Cove and Holyrood. This became official on August 31, 1976.
Bereik en inhoud
Annual reports, Correspondence, Marriage Register(1896-1915), Marriage register (1961-1970),Marriage register (1970-1978) and Marriage register (1978-1986).
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Restrictions may apply. Consult the archivist.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Further accruals expected.