Zona de identificação
tipo de entidade
Forma autorizada do nome
Anglican Parish of New Hope, Petty Harbour, NL
Forma(s) paralela(s) de nome
Forma normalizada do nome de acordo com outras regras
Outra(s) forma(s) de nome
identificadores para entidades coletivas
área de descrição
Datas de existência
The parish of New Hope includes the Anglican churches in the communities of Petty Harbour, the Goulds, Aquaforte and Bay Bulls.
The history of the church goes back to 1829 when the first incumbent was assigned: prior to that date, people went to St. John's for baptisms, marriages, etc.
In 1956 under the leadership of the Rev. W .F. Ralph plans were put in place to combine the two congregations of Presentation and St. Matthew's in the Goulds. The name St. Paul was chosen. On October 28, 1962, on the feast of St. Simon and St. Jude the corner stone for St. Paul's was laid by the Rt. Rev. J. A. Meaden. The church was officially opened and dedicated on December 8, 1963. In 1972 the parish seat moved to St. Paul's, where a new rectory was built. In 1992, the parish split with St. Paul's going on its own and the Parish of Petty Harbour reverting to its original form.
The first Anglican Church in Bay Bulls was a small wooden structure built in Gunridge in 1864 and was ministered to by the resident priest in Petty Harbour. In May 1964, Holy Trinity Church celebrated its 100th anniversary. In April 1969, work commenced on the present church. The first Eucharist was celebrated in the new church on January 25th, 1970.
On October 28, 1962, on the feast of St. Simon and St. Jude the corner stone for St. Paul's was laid by the Rt. Rev. J. A. Meaden. The church was officially opened and dedicated on December 8, 1963. After many years of hard work and much determination St. Paul's was consecrated on October 22, 1978 by the Rt. Rev. R. L. Seaborn.
The Parish of St. Paul's, the Goulds , was re-amalgamated with the Parish of Petty Harbour to form the Parish of New Hope.