Fonds - Anglican Parish of Harbour Grace

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of Harbour Grace

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1996-2011 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Parish of Harbour Grace

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1764 -)

Administrative history

The first Church of England was built in Harbour Grace in 1764 with the establishment of a mission to the community. The cornerstone for the present St. Paul's church was laid by Governor Prescott on August 28, 1835 on the same site as the 1764 church. It was then consecrated by Bishop Spencer on the 4th of July, 1840.
The first concrete evidence that St. Peter's congregation had been formed can be found in 1872. Baptismal records show baptisms for residents in that year. Parish records also show names of communicants from Harbour Grace South starting in December 25, 1872.
A St. Peter's Church for Harbour Grace South Anglicans was constructed between 1872-1875. At a special meeting held on May 17, 1906 collectors for the "new church" fund were appointed for different harbours of "THE LABRADOR" as follows: Carpoon - Thos. H. Sheppard; Fishing Ships - Clem Sheppard & Martin George ; Tub Harbour - James & Josiah Yetman; Seal Islands - Lymen & John Noel; Webbers Harbour - Alex Sheppard & Eliezer Noel; Shoal Tickle - Mark Sheppard; Shoal Bay Islands - Victor Sheppard and Leander Noel; Grady - Jonathan Sheppard; Sandy Islands - Moses Yetman
In 1925 St. Paul's and St. Peter's became one parish.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Annual reports and correspondence

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres