Fonds - Anglican Parish of Labrador West

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of Labrador West

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1961-2002 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Parish of Labrador West

Physical description area

Physical description

12.5cm of textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1958 -)

Administrative history

The first recorded Anglican service held in the area of Labrador West was conducted by the Rev’d A. L. Salt on July 5, 1958 at Base Camp, Wabush. In July 1960, Archdeacon Norman reported to Bishop Meaden that during a visit to Carol Lake, he "found the Anglicans organized for regular Sunday worship, conducted by Lay Readers." These Lay Readers were H.Raynes, Paul Thoms, and Chesley Gill. Visiting clergy occasionally came to celebrate Eucharist. The following year, Bishop Seaborn visited the area and conducted the first local service of confirmation on March 24 with four candidates.

Archdeacon Norman returned for Christmas services in 1961 and during his visit he held a congregational meeting to plan and organize a vestry. The people were at that time erecting a building to serve as a place of worship with plans to eventually use it as a rectory. In 1962 the first permanent clergy was appointed: the Rev’d Leonard Whitten arrived to take up residence and conduct services in the new building, becoming the first Rector of what was then the Mission of Labrador West.

The Anglican and United congregations of Labrador West joined their efforts to erect a joint church on Hudson Drive to be named St. Paul’s Anglican and Carol United. On December 15,1968 this building was dedicated and the first Eucharist celebrated there. In 1974, St. Peter’s Church was built on Whiteway Street in Wabush. It was officially opened on October 20, 1974 by Bishop W. G. Legge. It was later extended and then consecrated by Bishop Martin Mate on October 4, 1981.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Registers of Baptism, Marriage, Burials and Confirmations, 1961-2003

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions may apply. Consult with archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres