Title and statement of responsibility area
Anglican Parish of New Hope
General material designation
- Textual record
Anglican Parish of Petty Harbour, NL
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Anglican Parish of New Hope, Petty Harbour, NL
Physical description area
50cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The parish of New Hope includes the Anglican churches in the communities of Petty Harbour, the Goulds, Aquaforte and Bay Bulls.
The history of the church goes back to 1829 when the first incumbent was assigned: prior to that date, people went to St. John's for baptisms, marriages, etc.
In 1956 under the leadership of the Rev. W .F. Ralph plans were put in place to combine the two congregations of Presentation and St. Matthew's in the Goulds. The name St. Paul was chosen. On October 28, 1962, on the feast of St. Simon and St. Jude the corner stone for St. Paul's was laid by the Rt. Rev. J. A. Meaden. The church was officially opened and dedicated on December 8, 1963. In 1972 the parish seat moved to St. Paul's, where a new rectory was built. In 1992, the parish split with St. Paul's going on its own and the Parish of Petty Harbour reverting to its original form.
The first Anglican Church in Bay Bulls was a small wooden structure built in Gunridge in 1864 and was ministered to by the resident priest in Petty Harbour. In May 1964, Holy Trinity Church celebrated its 100th anniversary. In April 1969, work commenced on the present church. The first Eucharist was celebrated in the new church on January 25th, 1970.
On October 28, 1962, on the feast of St. Simon and St. Jude the corner stone for St. Paul's was laid by the Rt. Rev. J. A. Meaden. The church was officially opened and dedicated on December 8, 1963. After many years of hard work and much determination St. Paul's was consecrated on October 22, 1978 by the Rt. Rev. R. L. Seaborn.
The Parish of St. Paul's, the Goulds , was re-amalgamated with the Parish of Petty Harbour to form the Parish of New Hope.
Scope and content
Parish registers, Vestry Books Ledgers, Photographs, Banns of Marriage.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds are arranged in boxes.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions may apply. Consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The fonds are open. Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description