Fonds - Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1986-1993 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1963 -)

Administrative history

St. Augustine’s parish was established as a result of the post-war housing boom in St. John’s. In the mid-1950s the Anglican School Board of St. John’s had constructed an elementary school, Brinton Memorial, in the newly developed Churchill Park residential area. The nearest parish to Churchill Park was the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist in downtown St. John’s. By early 1957 arrangements had been made for a Sunday school to be held at Brinton Memorial, which was more readily accessible on foot. An extract from the Cathedral Vestry minutes of March 6, 1957 indicates that a Sunday school was already in place and that plans were being made to hold regular church services at Brinton during Lent. An unfinished room at the school was completed for use as a chapel and dedicated on January 6, 1958 by Bishop Meadon as the Chapel of the Epiphany. Regular Sunday services were conducted from that date, and by April 1959 an Altar Guild had been established to serve the new chapel.
The Mission Parish of St. Augustine was established in 1963. The first service in the newly constituted parish was held on August 4, and on September 17 the new parish officially came into being with the first parish meeting.
Meetings and services for the Mission Parish of St. Augustine’s continued to be held in Brinton Memorial School, first in the basement chapel and then in a new auditorium constructed for the purpose and opened in 1965. Meanwhile, negotiations for a permanent home for the congregation continued, culminating in the acquisition of a parcel of land on Elizabeth Avenue. Construction of the new church began in June of 1968 and the building was dedicated on March 2 1969. According to Synod regulations, construction debts on the church building had to be paid before it could be consecrated: this was accomplished and St. Augustine’s was consecrated on May 31, 1981.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Reports

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    Restrictions may apply. Consult the archivist.

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    Associated materials

    Related materials

    Accruals

    The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    Institution identifier

    Rules or conventions

    Status

    Draft

    Level of detail

    Partial

    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    Language of description

    • English

    Script of description

      Sources

      Accession area