Type of entity
Authorized form of name
St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, N.L. : Catholic)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
St. Gabriel's Parish, located on St. Brendan's Island in Bonavista Bay, was established in 1891. St. Brendan's consists of the four Catholic communities of Shoal Cove, Dark Cove, Hayward Cove and Shalloway Cove which were settled by fishing servants and their families in the 1840s. From 1815 to 1891 the island was served by the priest from King's Cove on the Southern Shore of Bonavista Bay. In the 1860s a school/chapel was built along the road connecting the communities, and in 1881 a new church was constructed. The first resident priest, Reverend Gregory Battcock, was appointed in 1892 and served until 1903. At the time of his appointment the initial church and rectory of St. Gabriel's Parish was constructed. The current church was built during the tenure of Reverend Walker (1919-1926).
The current parish does not have any mission churches.
Pastors that have served St. Gabriel's Parish since the tenure of Reverend Battcock include: William Finn (1903-1907); John Mackey (1910-1919); James J. Walker (1919-1926); Francis Pumphrey (1927-1937); Leslie G. Fitzgerald (1937-1944); Francis R. Terry (1944-1952); Edward J. Shea (1956-1981); William Hearn (1981-1983); Brian Dunn (1985-1988); Aloysius Antle (1988-1991); William Hearn (1993-1994, second term); Michael Barker (1995- ).
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 22, 2013