Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, Newfoundland) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
- Variations in title: Also known as the St. Brendan's Parish Records fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, N.L. : Catholic)
Physical description area
2 v. of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Gabriel's Parish, located on St. Brendan's Island in Bonavista Bay, was established in 1891. St. Brendan's consists of the four Catholic communities of Shoal Cove, Dark Cove, Hayward Cove and Shalloway Cove which were settled by fishing servants and their families in the 1840s. From 1815 to 1891 the island was served by the priest from King's Cove on the Southern Shore of Bonavista Bay. In the 1860s a school/chapel was built along the road connecting the communities, and in 1881 a new church was constructed. The first resident priest, Reverend Gregory Battcock, was appointed in 1892 and served until 1903. At the time of his appointment the initial church and rectory of St. Gabriel's Parish was constructed. The current church was built during the tenure of Reverend Walker (1919-1926).
The current parish does not have any mission churches.
Pastors that have served St. Gabriel's Parish since the tenure of Reverend Battcock include: William Finn (1903-1907); John Mackey (1910-1919); James J. Walker (1919-1926); Francis Pumphrey (1927-1937); Leslie G. Fitzgerald (1937-1944); Francis R. Terry (1944-1952); Edward J. Shea (1956-1981); William Hearn (1981-1983); Brian Dunn (1985-1988); Aloysius Antle (1988-1991); William Hearn (1993-1994, second term); Michael Barker (1995- ).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of a baptismal ledger (1891-1912); baptismal records (1943-1951); marriage ledger (1891-1911), marriage ledger (1891-1987); marriage records (1943-1951, 1966); confirmation cards (23 Jan., 3 Feb., 25 May, 23 Aug. 1950; 6 Feb., 14 Jul., 3 Nov., 1951; 5 Feb., 10 Jul., 11 Jul., 1952; 20 Aug., 10 Oct., 16 Oct. 1954; 4 Aug., 28 Dec., 1955; 25 Jun 1956, 11 Jul., 12 Jul., 1957.); death ledger (1918-1992); death records (1943-1946).
Records are fragile.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access restricted due to conservation concerns.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 22, 2013
Language of description