Fonds - St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, Newfoundland) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, Newfoundland) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
  • Variations in title: Also known as the St. Brendan's Parish Records fonds

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1891-1992 (Creation)
    St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, N.L. : Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 v. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

St. Gabriel's Parish, located on St. Brendan's Island in Bonavista Bay, was established in 1891. St. Brendan's consists of the four Catholic communities of Shoal Cove, Dark Cove, Hayward Cove and Shalloway Cove which were settled by fishing servants and their families in the 1840s. From 1815 to 1891 the island was served by the priest from King's Cove on the Southern Shore of Bonavista Bay. In the 1860s a school/chapel was built along the road connecting the communities, and in 1881 a new church was constructed. The first resident priest, Reverend Gregory Battcock, was appointed in 1892 and served until 1903. At the time of his appointment the initial church and rectory of St. Gabriel's Parish was constructed. The current church was built during the tenure of Reverend Walker (1919-1926).

The current parish does not have any mission churches.

Pastors that have served St. Gabriel's Parish since the tenure of Reverend Battcock include: William Finn (1903-1907); John Mackey (1910-1919); James J. Walker (1919-1926); Francis Pumphrey (1927-1937); Leslie G. Fitzgerald (1937-1944); Francis R. Terry (1944-1952); Edward J. Shea (1956-1981); William Hearn (1981-1983); Brian Dunn (1985-1988); Aloysius Antle (1988-1991); William Hearn (1993-1994, second term); Michael Barker (1995- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of a baptismal ledger (1891-1912); baptismal records (1943-1951); marriage ledger (1891-1911), marriage ledger (1891-1987); marriage records (1943-1951, 1966); confirmation cards (23 Jan., 3 Feb., 25 May, 23 Aug. 1950; 6 Feb., 14 Jul., 3 Nov., 1951; 5 Feb., 10 Jul., 11 Jul., 1952; 20 Aug., 10 Oct., 16 Oct. 1954; 4 Aug., 28 Dec., 1955; 25 Jun 1956, 11 Jul., 12 Jul., 1957.); death ledger (1918-1992); death records (1943-1946).

Notes area

Physical condition

Records are fragile.

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access restricted due to conservation concerns.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 22, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres