Archief - St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, Newfoundland) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area


St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, Newfoundland) fonds

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Textual record

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
  • Variations in title: Also known as the St. Brendan's Parish Records fonds



referentie code



Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming


  • 1891-1992 (Vervaardig)
    St. Gabriel's Parish (St. Brendan's, N.L. : Catholic)

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

2 v. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer


Institutionele geschiedenis

St. Gabriel's Parish, located on St. Brendan's Island in Bonavista Bay, was established in 1891. St. Brendan's consists of the four Catholic communities of Shoal Cove, Dark Cove, Hayward Cove and Shalloway Cove which were settled by fishing servants and their families in the 1840s. From 1815 to 1891 the island was served by the priest from King's Cove on the Southern Shore of Bonavista Bay. In the 1860s a school/chapel was built along the road connecting the communities, and in 1881 a new church was constructed. The first resident priest, Reverend Gregory Battcock, was appointed in 1892 and served until 1903. At the time of his appointment the initial church and rectory of St. Gabriel's Parish was constructed. The current church was built during the tenure of Reverend Walker (1919-1926).

The current parish does not have any mission churches.

Pastors that have served St. Gabriel's Parish since the tenure of Reverend Battcock include: William Finn (1903-1907); John Mackey (1910-1919); James J. Walker (1919-1926); Francis Pumphrey (1927-1937); Leslie G. Fitzgerald (1937-1944); Francis R. Terry (1944-1952); Edward J. Shea (1956-1981); William Hearn (1981-1983); Brian Dunn (1985-1988); Aloysius Antle (1988-1991); William Hearn (1993-1994, second term); Michael Barker (1995- ).

Geschiedenis beheer

Bereik en inhoud

Fonds consists of a baptismal ledger (1891-1912); baptismal records (1943-1951); marriage ledger (1891-1911), marriage ledger (1891-1987); marriage records (1943-1951, 1966); confirmation cards (23 Jan., 3 Feb., 25 May, 23 Aug. 1950; 6 Feb., 14 Jul., 3 Nov., 1951; 5 Feb., 10 Jul., 11 Jul., 1952; 20 Aug., 10 Oct., 16 Oct. 1954; 4 Aug., 28 Dec., 1955; 25 Jun 1956, 11 Jul., 12 Jul., 1957.); death ledger (1918-1992); death records (1943-1946).


Materiële staat

Records are fragile.

Directe bron van verwerving


Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Restrictions on access

Access restricted due to conservation concerns.

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.


Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer


Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points


Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Regels of conventies



Niveau van detaillering


Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Created - May 22, 2013

Taal van de beschrijving

  • Engels

Schrift van de beschrijving


Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres