Title and statement of responsibility area
Anglican Parish of Carbonear
General material designation
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
Parish of St. James, Carbonear
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Anglican Parish of Carbonear
- Carbonear (NL)
Physical description area
23.0cm of textual records and architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The construction and completion of the present church building of St. James, Church was in 1864. However, the present structure is not the first one to service the Parish. The previous church, build in 1815, was also called St. James' Church. There was also a small church or meeting house built about 1762.
There was no Anglican Church in Carbonear between 1788 and 1815. Up to 1840 the Anglican population of Carbonear and Harbour Grace formed one parish. Most of the early clergy served the Parish under the auspices of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.
Land was procured around 1813 and the first St. James Church was completed in 1815. In 1819 the congregation pledged to support a priest of their own. On April 9th 1860, the foundation lines were marked out for the construction of a new church. Ground was broken on May 7th 1860 and work continued until June when a large portion of the congregation left for the Annual Labrador Fishery. The shortage of volunteer labor unavoidably slowed construction. However, the church was completed in 3 ½ years and was consecrated on November 10th 1864.
Scope and content
1 architectural plan, parish registers, correspondence, pew rent records, pastoral letters, financial records. Includes baptisms, marriages and burials. Also includes the architectural plan for St. Peter's Catalina.
Immediate source of acquisition
The files in this fonds are listed by boxes.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See also collection 302, Church Historians File 28, History of St. Jame's Church.
The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description