Fondos - St. John Bosco Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

St. John Bosco Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

Tipo general de material

  • Architectural drawing
  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

  • Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Código de referencia

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1934-1979, predominant 1960-1979 (Criação)
    Creador
    St. John Bosco (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

12 cm of textual records
2 photograph albums
1 architectural drawing
ephemera

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1934-)

Historia administrativa

St. John Bosco initially was established as a mission of St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) in 1934, when a school-chapel was constructed to attend to the needs of the Catholic population of Blackhead Road, an area situated on a plateau to the southwest of St. John's Harbour (more popularly known as "The Brow"). Mass was first celebrated in the new school-chapel 25 June 1934. This structure served the mission until 1960, when a new building containing more classroom space and a larger chapel was constructed. Patrick J. Skinner, Archbishop of St. John's, blessed the new school-chapel complex and held the first mass there 24 September 1961. Members of the Presentation of the Most Blessed Virgin Congregation (Presentation Sisters) residing in St. Patrick's Convent administered the new school.

Archbishop Skinner raised St. John Bosco to the status of a parish 4 April 1964. Shortly thereafter, responsibility for St. Joseph's Mission in Blackhead (as distinct from Blackhead Road) was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish from St. Joseph's Parish (Petty Harbour).

In 1972, Blackhead Road was renamed Shea Heights in honour of Rev. Leo G. Shea, first parish priest of St. John Bosco, for his efforts in initiating improvements in the area. In 1986, Shea Heights officially became part of the city of St. John's.

Pastors who have served the St. John Bosco Parish since its establishment in 1964 include: Leo G. Shea (1964-1970); Francis Slattery (1970-1974); John Maddigan (1974-1976); John O'Deady (1976-1979); Joseph D. Barton (1979-1982); David Butler (1982-1986?); and John Corrigan (1986-1988?). The parish has been served by clergy from St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) since 1988.

St. John Bosco's parochial affairs are administered by a Parish Pastoral Council and several committees, including Finance, Liturgy, Community Life and Social Action, and Youth committees. In addition, the Catholic Women's League is active within the parish.

Historial de custodia

Alcance y contenido

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and general affairs (1960-79); canonical decrees establishing the parish and its boundaries (1964, 1982); land survey of parish property (1965) and an architectural drawing of the parish church (1969); 42 photographs, including an album presented to Archbishop Edward P. Roche at Christmas from the children of St. John Bosco School (1934), and an album documenting the funeral of Rev. Leo G. Shea (1970); and a St. John Bosco Day button (1984). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

Arreglo

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Instrumentos de descripción

Box list available.

Materiales asociados

See St. Patrick's Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. John Bosco Parish.

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Minuta

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created - May 12, 2013

Idioma de descripción

  • inglés

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Lugares relacionados

Tipos relacionados