Title and statement of responsibility area
St. John Bosco Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds
General material designation
- Architectural drawing
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1934-1979, predominant 1960-1979 (Creation)
- St. John Bosco (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
2 photograph albums
1 architectural drawing
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. John Bosco initially was established as a mission of St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) in 1934, when a school-chapel was constructed to attend to the needs of the Catholic population of Blackhead Road, an area situated on a plateau to the southwest of St. John's Harbour (more popularly known as "The Brow"). Mass was first celebrated in the new school-chapel 25 June 1934. This structure served the mission until 1960, when a new building containing more classroom space and a larger chapel was constructed. Patrick J. Skinner, Archbishop of St. John's, blessed the new school-chapel complex and held the first mass there 24 September 1961. Members of the Presentation of the Most Blessed Virgin Congregation (Presentation Sisters) residing in St. Patrick's Convent administered the new school.
Archbishop Skinner raised St. John Bosco to the status of a parish 4 April 1964. Shortly thereafter, responsibility for St. Joseph's Mission in Blackhead (as distinct from Blackhead Road) was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish from St. Joseph's Parish (Petty Harbour).
In 1972, Blackhead Road was renamed Shea Heights in honour of Rev. Leo G. Shea, first parish priest of St. John Bosco, for his efforts in initiating improvements in the area. In 1986, Shea Heights officially became part of the city of St. John's.
Pastors who have served the St. John Bosco Parish since its establishment in 1964 include: Leo G. Shea (1964-1970); Francis Slattery (1970-1974); John Maddigan (1974-1976); John O'Deady (1976-1979); Joseph D. Barton (1979-1982); David Butler (1982-1986?); and John Corrigan (1986-1988?). The parish has been served by clergy from St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) since 1988.
St. John Bosco's parochial affairs are administered by a Parish Pastoral Council and several committees, including Finance, Liturgy, Community Life and Social Action, and Youth committees. In addition, the Catholic Women's League is active within the parish.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and general affairs (1960-79); canonical decrees establishing the parish and its boundaries (1964, 1982); land survey of parish property (1965) and an architectural drawing of the parish church (1969); 42 photographs, including an album presented to Archbishop Edward P. Roche at Christmas from the children of St. John Bosco School (1934), and an album documenting the funeral of Rev. Leo G. Shea (1970); and a St. John Bosco Day button (1984). Fonds includes some photocopies.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box list available.
See St. Patrick's Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. John Bosco Parish.
The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 12, 2013
Language of description