St. John's Curling Association (N.L.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. John's Curling Association (N.L.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1910-

History

The St. John's Curling Association, commonly known as the St. John's Curling Club, was established on 8 July 1910 when two men's clubs, the Terra Nova Curling Club (fl. 1863-) and the Micmac Curling Club (established 188-), voted to amalgamate at a joint meeting. The consitution and the by-laws of the Association were adopted at that same meeting. The Association was incorporated under The Companies Act.

The mandate of the St. John's Curling Association was to foster and promote curling in the city. Throughout its history, it has also raised monies for the war effort and various city charities. Although the St. John's Curling Association maintained close relationships with the Ladies' Curling Club (organized 1906) and cooperated in hosting many curling events, the latter was not totally integrated until 1959. The first woman president, Jane M. Martin, was elected in 1982.

From 1912-1941 the Association leased their facilities from the Newfoundland Curling Rink Ltd. The curling rink was located on Forest Road, next to the Prince's Skating Rink. The Association purchased the curling rink in the fall of 1941, but on 28 Nov., before the curling season commenced, the rink was destroyed by fire. On 25 Jan.1943, the Association officially opened their new rink on Factory Lane. To help finance the new facility, public skating and dancing were offered at the rink. This continued until 1955, a year after the St. John's Memorial Stadium was opened. In 1976 the old rink was sold and the Association constructed a new facility on Bonaventure Avenue, which was officially opened on 22 Oct. 1976.

Albert H. Salter (1877-1940), the first secretary-treasurer, commenced the systematic recording of the Association's activities. These records were stored at the club building until 1941, when Peter Ledingham, the honourary secretary, rescued them from the fire. At the request of the Association, a pictorial history, Through curling years, the 75th, was written by Clifford K. Andrews in 1986.

The Association currently is governed by a five-person executive elected at the annual general meeting. The Committee of Management, consisting of the executive, past-president, and six elected members, is responsible for club activities and curling arrangements and regulations. They also appoint appropriate sub-committees. The Committee is assisted by an elected advisory board.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Dyer, George T. (fl. 1927-1951)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Dyer records have some St. John's Curling Association related material.

Related entity

Graham, Frank William (1906-1991)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Graham records have St. John's Curling Association related photographs.

Related entity

Dyer, George T. (fl. 1927-1951)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 26, 2013

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC