Fonds - St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL) fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1850-1984, predominant 1952-1975 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records
10 photographs: b&w
1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1884-)

Administrative history

St. Joseph's Parish was established at Petty Harbour in 1884. Prior to this date, Petty Harbour formed part of the parish or district of St. John's, which then included Torbay, Pouch Cove, Portugal Cove, and Topsail. In 1834, Bishop Michael A. Fleming built a mission church, dedicated to St. Joseph, at Petty Harbour and celebrated Sunday mass there in July 1835. The mission was served by clergy from the Cathedral Residence in St. John's until its erection as an independent parish.

The original parish church built by Bishop Fleming was torn down on 22 October 1962 and construction began on a new building under the direction of Rev. James O'Dwyer, resident parish priest. In the interim, mass was celebrated for two years in the local Catholic school. Rev. O'Dwyer celebrated the first mass in the new St. Joseph's Church on 15 March 1964.

In 1884 the boundaries of St. Joseph's Parish encompassed the communities of Blackhead, Maddox Cove, and the Goulds. However, these original boundaries have been altered over time. In 1948, due to a growing Catholic population in the Goulds, St. Kevin's Mission was raised to the status of parish, thus gaining independence from St. Joseph's. In addition, responsibility for the mission church (also dedicated to St. Joseph) at Blackhead was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish after 1964. Thus, St. Joseph's current boundaries have contracted to encompass only the amalgamated community of Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove.

Structurally, the parish has been organized along lines similar to most Roman Catholic parishes, including a Parish Pastoral Council and a Finance Committee responsible for directing parish activities and managing parish monies.

Since 1970, St. Joseph's Parish has been served by clergy from St. Kevin's Parish. Pastors and administrators who have served St. Joseph's since its establishment include: Roger Tierney (1884-1930); Francis J. D. Ryan (1930-[1935?]); Edward J. Rawlins ([1935?]-1948); John L. Lacey ([1948?-1952?]); Andrew T. Nolan (1952-1955); F. W. Bradshaw (1955-1961); James O'Dwyer (1961-1969); John McGettigan, Administrator (1970-1971); John F. Wallis, Administrator (1971-1977); William Pomroy, Administrator (1977-1982); Robert Moore, Administrator ([1983?]-1986); Dermot McGettigan, Administrator (1986-1987); John Maddigan, Administrator (1987-1991); Jerome Hann, Administrator (1991-1999); Kenneth F. Walsh (1999-2001); and Paul Lundrigan (2001- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish property, the presbytery, and general parish affairs (1952-1975); financial statements (1915-1928); land and property deeds (1850-1942); canonical decree delineating parish boundaries (1982); drawings and plans of church property and presbytery (1969, 1971); 1 microfilm reel of baptismal (1872-1899), marriage (1873-1899), and death (1892-1911) registers; newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1983-1984); and 10 black and white photographs, including views of the original and present-day St. Joseph's churches (1955, [1963?]). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available.

Associated materials

See Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. Joseph's Parish. See also St. Kevin's Parish fonds for records related to the Goulds created after 1948.

Related materials

Accruals

The fonds is open. Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 23, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area