Fondos - St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL) fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL) fonds

Tipo general de material

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

  • Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Código de referencia

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1850-1984, predominant 1952-1975 (Criação)
    Creador
    St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL)

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

12 cm of textual records
10 photographs: b&w
1 microfilm reel

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1884-)

Historia administrativa

St. Joseph's Parish was established at Petty Harbour in 1884. Prior to this date, Petty Harbour formed part of the parish or district of St. John's, which then included Torbay, Pouch Cove, Portugal Cove, and Topsail. In 1834, Bishop Michael A. Fleming built a mission church, dedicated to St. Joseph, at Petty Harbour and celebrated Sunday mass there in July 1835. The mission was served by clergy from the Cathedral Residence in St. John's until its erection as an independent parish.

The original parish church built by Bishop Fleming was torn down on 22 October 1962 and construction began on a new building under the direction of Rev. James O'Dwyer, resident parish priest. In the interim, mass was celebrated for two years in the local Catholic school. Rev. O'Dwyer celebrated the first mass in the new St. Joseph's Church on 15 March 1964.

In 1884 the boundaries of St. Joseph's Parish encompassed the communities of Blackhead, Maddox Cove, and the Goulds. However, these original boundaries have been altered over time. In 1948, due to a growing Catholic population in the Goulds, St. Kevin's Mission was raised to the status of parish, thus gaining independence from St. Joseph's. In addition, responsibility for the mission church (also dedicated to St. Joseph) at Blackhead was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish after 1964. Thus, St. Joseph's current boundaries have contracted to encompass only the amalgamated community of Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove.

Structurally, the parish has been organized along lines similar to most Roman Catholic parishes, including a Parish Pastoral Council and a Finance Committee responsible for directing parish activities and managing parish monies.

Since 1970, St. Joseph's Parish has been served by clergy from St. Kevin's Parish. Pastors and administrators who have served St. Joseph's since its establishment include: Roger Tierney (1884-1930); Francis J. D. Ryan (1930-[1935?]); Edward J. Rawlins ([1935?]-1948); John L. Lacey ([1948?-1952?]); Andrew T. Nolan (1952-1955); F. W. Bradshaw (1955-1961); James O'Dwyer (1961-1969); John McGettigan, Administrator (1970-1971); John F. Wallis, Administrator (1971-1977); William Pomroy, Administrator (1977-1982); Robert Moore, Administrator ([1983?]-1986); Dermot McGettigan, Administrator (1986-1987); John Maddigan, Administrator (1987-1991); Jerome Hann, Administrator (1991-1999); Kenneth F. Walsh (1999-2001); and Paul Lundrigan (2001- ).

Historial de custodia

Alcance y contenido

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish property, the presbytery, and general parish affairs (1952-1975); financial statements (1915-1928); land and property deeds (1850-1942); canonical decree delineating parish boundaries (1982); drawings and plans of church property and presbytery (1969, 1971); 1 microfilm reel of baptismal (1872-1899), marriage (1873-1899), and death (1892-1911) registers; newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1983-1984); and 10 black and white photographs, including views of the original and present-day St. Joseph's churches (1955, [1963?]). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

Arreglo

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Instrumentos de descripción

Box list available.

Materiales asociados

See Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. Joseph's Parish. See also St. Kevin's Parish fonds for records related to the Goulds created after 1948.

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

The fonds is open. Further accruals are expected.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Minuta

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created - April 23, 2013

Idioma de descripción

  • inglés

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso